Every dog has it's day...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross Cut Saw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 25, 2012
Boulder, CO
After missing out on the scrounge across the street from me yesterday (I admit, it still hurts) I picked up this bad boy for free out of the blue from my wife's cousin today!

2012-08-25 17.25.54.jpg

I don't have a truck so this will make getting some longer pieces or random small piles possible, score!

Reactions: ScotO
Nice little trailer and you cant beat the price.

Nice to have. Hope you are skilled at backing it up!

Reactions: Realstone
Nice trailer
Will be great help & improve your scrounging.
Price is great too.

Wood weight adds up fast. Filled it might be a bit overloaded ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice, you have a decent way to haul a small score when you find one.
Like Dave said filled might be a bit much for it. Those small tires are prone to blow outs when overloaded.

Great score, but if I were you I would be thinking about beefing the axle, tires, and springs if you're gonna be loading it up with wood.......especially green wood. That stuff gets heavy in a hurry......

If that's from harbor freight, i think i have the exact same trailer. If I'm remembering, correctly it's rated for maybe 1100 lbs, so, as others have said, it definitely cant be filled very full. Still, beats filling up the trunk! I'm sure you'll. Get a lot of good use out of it.

Yeah, it can't do a heavy load, I'm thinking small manageable amounts of wood that I can tow with my Subaru...

My in town property can only hold about 7 cords so I can only ever have about 1 1/2 seasons at any given time...

7.5 cords sounds good. We burned an average of 5 cord a winter. Now burn about 5 tonnes of pellets.

Nice little trailer..... Excellent price...

A case of his favorite beverage may be in order? :)

The tires at least have been upgraded. I'd put fenders back on it so you don't give the police a reason to stop you.

I'd cut off all the wood above the middle horizontal beam. You'll get better fuel economy and won't be tempted to overload it as much.

No kidding on the backing it up. I look like a pro backing that trailer up with my wife's hatchback ... with the door open so I can see it and its 100" wheelbase it is easy. I look like an idiot backing that thing up with a four door pickup because it is so short and narrow. I can't see it in the mirrors until it starts to get sideways and have about a second to steer back before it isn't correctable without pulling forward.

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
Perfect.

Nice trailer. I'd suggest redoing the sideboards. You probably would never haul anything in that trailer which would require that much sideboard. This will also lighten the trailer so you can put in a couple extra logs. Backing up that trailer should be pretty easy. It is the short tongued trailers that are difficult to back up. Try it sometime with a 40' trailer! That is super easy.

Nice to have. Hope you are skilled at backing it up!
Agreed. Short tongue and tall sides will make it a challenge, but I'm sure you're up to the task. Hope I'm not raining on your parade but I've never been a big fan of small tires. A 12" tire will spin many times more & faster than a 16" tire on the same trailer. The tires are outboard (or so to speak). Any chance of swapping them for larger ones?

Nice little trailer..... Excellent price...

A case of his favorite beverage may be in order? :)
I'm a coffee roaster, he gets free coffee...

Reactions: DexterDay
Not the beefiest of trailers . . . but then again you cannot really beat free . . . and when paired with a Subaru this should work well for grabbing small scrouges.

Just keep in mind the weight limit . . . and as Backwoods suggested you might lower the sides a bit . . . it will make loading from the sides and unloading from the sides easier for those times when you cannot easily load from the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.