Every Time I Read. . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigg_Redd

Minister of Fire
Oct 19, 2008
Shelton, WA
. . . a post where some off brand saw won't run right I think back on all the Stihl chainsaws I've owned. . .

1) A pre-chainbrake-era 041. Gave it away. It must be 40 years old and still runs.

2) An early 00s MS290. Used hard and barely maintained for 8 or 9 years. Sold for $150 and still running perfectly.

3) 8 month old MS440. 10+ trouble free cords cut.

I could walk to the shop right now and within 10 minutes have the 08 I learned to cut with up, running and cutting wood. I never saw the value in cheap equipment.

I've never owned a Stihl, but my saw is going on four decades and still running strong enough for me. I keep threatening to replace it if it won't start in under five pulls but from what I hear of these new fangled saws, peeps are pulling their arms off trying to start them. Maybe they just don't know what the de-comp is for or maybe they have wimpy arms like Grover the Muppet!

LLigetfa said:
I've never owned a Stihl, but my saw is going on four decades and still running strong enough for me. I keep threatening to replace it if it won't start in under five pulls but from what I hear of these new fangled saws, peeps are pulling their arms off trying to start them. Maybe they just don't know what the de-comp is for or maybe they have wimpy arms like Grover the Muppet!

Or maybe the compression is a fricken Beast! Oh thats my kinda saw.... :lol:

You never know, I have and old McCullough and a Husqvarna that never gave me any trouble. My Stihl 390 died after 6 months because of a loose connection on the coil. The dealer fixed it under warranty, and I still love the Stihl and bought a 660 that is a beast, but any saw can fail, especially with the lousy gas we are buying now a days. I try to run mine dry all the time and use Sea Foam to treat the gas if it is going to be sitting for a long while. I found this out in my Quad and Riding Mower that never had a problem, but usually sit all winter with gas in the tanks, my rider started having real issues but I drained the gas from the line and put Sea Foam in and it cleaned it up. The ATV gets used more so less of a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.