Everybody ready for the cold snap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, that doesn't sound bad at all, given our recent temps here in New Hampshire.

My p52i worked great yesterday during the day, but simply could not keep up with -15 temps overnight. Today it is working great again (it's sunny but very cold -- expected daytime high is 9 degrees, very slightly colder than yesterday) but I expect it will have a hard time overnight, so I will just let it run out of pellets, at which time my oil furnace will kick in (I have it set for 65, which is actually much higher than I like it for overnight -- that is WAY too warm for the master bedroom, so I have had to close the vents). Tonight it is "only" supposed to get down to negative 10, as opposed to negative 15 last night. (Heat wave! :))

(Of course I will leave for work around 4 a.m. Monday, when we will still be in negative numbers -- I hope my car will start! I've gone out and run it a bit today ... hopefully that will help ...)

I wasn't complaining, believe me - if that was propane I would have run thru about $100 worth!

Sounds like I'm 5-6 degrees colder than you, comparing your temps to mine.

And I thought my leaving at 4:45 AM was early . . .

Was -7 this morning when I got up at 6:30, was 70 in the kitchen and tv room, 64 upstairs. Was 75 in the house at 10 when I went to bed. There is no way it stays that warm in here without those two lower holes plugged up. Very worth the $3 I spent on the plugs. Stove has been running hard though. It's a good thing cause the oil line gelled up and would have work up freezing if we didn't have the stove.

I just picked up my version of a pellet hauler. its not a pickup but it will sure beat stuffing things in my subaru (i kept the subie too)
Just strap them down!!

van1.JPG

That is hilarious! great job! I wouldnt attempt to bring a whole ton home in this thing, but i would attempt to bring more bags than the 10 that make my subaru legacy squat.

Since I already have all the pellets i'll need for the next 3 years, looks like the first test of this bad boy is going to be hauling bags of manure for the garden in the spring.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Cold snap didn't last long. Going to be in the 50's today.

Reactions: bogieb
Cold snap didn't last long. Going to be in the 50's today.
Driving through the berkshires on route 90 this morning, the temp went from 25 to 41 in the span of a mile or two! That's amazing even for New England!

Reactions: bogieb
Snow yesterday. Ice on top of it last night. Rain today. Mud and 50 tomorrow.

Reactions: Hersheyheat
I love the fact that the rain and warmth wiped all the snow away in one day. I hate the lingering melting snow and fog at the end of winter. Birds were chirping like it was spring this morning in southeastern CT.

I'm a little late to the party...but figured I'd chime in...had the stove running all weekend burning Energex's. It kept the house comfortable and I only had to turn it up to a heat setting of 3...any more than that and it gets unbearable in the room the stove is in.

Heat pump only ran every now and then. It didn't even go on backup heat at all until it had to raise the temperature back up 10 degrees since we lost power for 5 long and cold hours. Gonna get me a generator before next season...luckily the previous home owners installed all the wiring and a transfer panel necessary for one!

I'm a little late to the party...but figured I'd chime in...had the stove running all weekend burning Energex's. It kept the house comfortable and I only had to turn it up to a heat setting of 3...any more than that and it gets unbearable in the room the stove is in.

Heat pump only ran every now and then. It didn't even go on backup heat at all until it had to raise the temperature back up 10 degrees since we lost power for 5 long and cold hours. Gonna get me a generator before next season...luckily the previous home owners installed all the wiring and a transfer panel necessary for one!
like this?
10 circuit/Interchangeable breakers....
Install.JPG
Install.JPG Install.JPG

Reactions: Chrisnow86
Status
Not open for further replies.