Everybody thinks I'm crazy but you people!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziprich

Sep 19, 2011
Western Md (Hagerstown)
I feel like my life has been overtaken by wood and wood stoves. My wife thinks I'm nuts, and the people at work are tired of hearing me talk about my stove and wood pile. I have been gathering wood all summer and i recently learned that i shouldn't burn it this winter. So i kinda started a panic to find some actually seasoned wood to burn this winter(not very easy). I am supposed to have a Harman tl300 put in this Monday, and a drop of seasoned wood to burn. I am so excited! I'm planning to take tons of pictures of the install and the wood to put up. In till a couple of days ago when i stumbled upon this site by accident, I was starting to think i was crazy! Now i realise that in till you have and run an wood stove you just don't know what its like. I am so happy to find a whole bunch of people to share in my same obsession. I feel like things will calm down next year, but since this is my first year i have to get wood for this year and some ready for next year. I just wanted to thank the site and everybody for all the help they have given me and for the help I'm sure to get in the future.

Your wife is probably right. Take deep breaths and give her a hug. :p

I don't know why but this made me recall SNL's Blue Oyster Cult skit with Christopher Walken where he says "I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

We are your cowbell my friend :coolsmirk:

Welcome!

pen

Every body just humors me these days. Then quick change the subject from wood heat. I was so happy today when someone brought a foreign exchange student by the house for a visit. He struggled with conversation, so I said lets go look at the wood piles. I showed him the stumps in the forest, the chain saw, the splitter and the stacked wood. By the end of the afternoon, he was humoring me and changing the subject.

"I need more cowbell!!" Awesome reference. Ziprich, welcome. Trust me, by next spring your wife will be a believer.

i am in the same shape. just bought a harman oakleaf and had it installed early this week. also found a great deal on a fire chief furnace that i put in my shop. when i was looking around august to buy, i found this place and contrary to my old way of doing things- i thought i was off to a great start. i had over 2 cords cut, due to storms knocking down trees in june and had it all split before july. i will be great for next year, but this year will have to maybe work a trade with a freind that has real seasoned wood. my wife doesn't think i am nuts though, so far she doesnt mind helping with wood cutting. wonder how long before i drive her nuts with getting all the wood we need for several years out though?

If you only knew how many times I've read "my wife thinks I've lost it" on this forum.
They may never completely understand but learn to live with it once they experience
the warmth of wood heat. In fact one of the benefits can be the tendency to wear less clothing
in your home through the winter months.

I dunno..........."I" think you just might be "crazy!" (lol)

Seriously, it does get like that for "me" sometimes, too. But after a couple of seasons, it's just the work that I do to keep the family warm, is all.

Sure, it's a bit more effort; it's a LOT easier to flip a switch...........but that's not the point, is it?!

MY particular concern are the folks who want to outlaw the burning of wood, because of the pollutants.

-Soupy1957

My husband thinks I am crazy....the girls at work make fun of me and my parents just shake their head...WTF? I thought it was just me..so when I do something new...I can get a lil obsessive! I wasn't even the one who wanted the damn stove.... :lol: Now I want a bigger one! :coolsmile:

pen said:
I don't know why but this made me recall SNL's Blue Oyster Cult skit with Christopher Walken where he says "I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

We are your cowbell my friend :coolsmirk:

Welcome!

pen

As I read OP's post, it was playing in my head in the voice of Abernathy Darwin Dunlap in "Accepted": "Hi there! What's your name? My name's Abernathy Darwin Dunlap but you can call me A.D.D. on the account of the fact that I have A.D.D., which is attention deficit disorder. You know - everyone used to think it was just an addiction to sugar when I was 6 and my mom used to cry because she thought I would never be like a fully functioning member of society like my neighbor who has Legionnaires' disease."

Please let your parents know that you have been accepted at the South Harmon Institute of Woodology. They will be proud.

My wife is still in disbelief that there is a dedicated site for wood burners, and that i am an active member!

Thanks everybody, I love how just reading a couple of posts is like a breath of fresh air to my brain. I'm looking forward to showing the pictures of my stove install after the weekend. Its going to be a big one, we are installing it in our basement, and its below grade so i have to dig a window well for the chimney to come-out. Then we have 28' of stove pipe to get above my roof. I just hope all goes well. Thanks again, i will talk to you again soon!

Hearing that you are in fact "crazy" is like a breath of fresh air? I have been crazy for over 30 years. :cheese:

You wait to see how much of a genius that she thinks you are when she's basking in that fabulously gorgeous warm wood heat!

My friends won't speak to me, my kids run the other way when they see me with gloves on, the wife won't make eye contact past Sept 1st. What??!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Nobody wants to talk about burning wood anymore?????

Guilty as charged!!

Zip, wait til your wife catches you sniffing your freshly split greens. You think you have trouble now with your obsession.

Your all crazy.

Mind you, this is coming from somebody that has been stalking the site from 2005, a member in 2006 and over 6000 posts, so I may not be the best person to diagnose your situation.

While the concept of wood heat is slightly sub-mainstream there's a growing recognition (by those who actually think about it) that resource costs are climbing and that alternatives need to be found. I live in a dense inner-urban neighborhood and wood heating is not prevalent....yet.

Besides, if this is what you enjoy talking about and it provides a useful service to your household who cares? After all, I can think of a lot worse things that a person could toss more money at and get far less in return.

my .02

Steve A

My wife and son like to tease me about my "online wood friends". :)

wood-fan-atic said:
My wife and son like to tease me about my "online wood friends". :)

Same here - my 5 year old daughter usually comes over and says 'Dad, can you get off Harffcom and play'.......and I do!

Cheers!

Read brother barts bio one time..makes sense of it all!

I can hardly wait for the weekend. Got a load of "hard stuff" to cut and stack.
No cottonwood for me this weekend.
Gotta go sharpen a chain.

Stump_Branch said:
Read brother barts bio one time..makes sense of it all!

X2. Just read it last week. Keep thinking how that will be me. LOL. My Wife loves the cheap warm heat. But my obsession keeps getting worse. Dont have any friends that are "All In" like myself and the many on here. Thats why I love this site so much. Among many Men and Women who have the same things in common and only want to talk abiut 1 general thing. And thats anything Hearth related.

First cold night. Grab the wife, a bottle of wine, and some pillows. Flop down on the floor in front of the stove and you will be forgiven.

Status
Not open for further replies.