Everyone talks about....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wert

Nov 27, 2010
Hudson Valley NY
Everyone talks about how many pellets they store, or what they do with ash, or how to dispose of the plastic bags.
I'd like to know, how many people level out the pellets in the hopper?
I level them out after I put a bag in.
When I check the hopper after a few hours of burn, I level the pellets in the hopper
When I visit my friend, the first thing I do is check his hopper and level it.
After about 20 minutes of burn, a shallow void appears atop my auger.
At that time I need to level it.
Granted, I do not wake in the early morning to see if I'm leveled off, but I was
wondering if others also keep their pellets leveled.

Yep I level mine every time I add a bag to the hopper and maybe one other time during the day.

If I check my pellets just to see how far down they are I might level them.
My hopper feeds really well and even if there is a deep depression where the augur is pulling them in they will eventually all flow toward the augur.

I keep a big metal spoon near by to 'sift' them in. I usually only do it with a refil and maybe one or two checks a day, mostly to see if it needs to be topped off.

I'm guilty here too.A number of times a day I'II open the hopper and level them.I just can't help myself.I also stiff them,man these Henry County pellets smell good.

tony58 said:
I'm guilty here too.A number of times a day I'II open the hopper and level them.I just can't help myself.I also stiff them,man these Henry County pellets smell good.

The clean burns we get up here smell good as well!

Yeah I to am guilty. That is if my 11yr old son doesn't beat me to it. >:-(

I catch myself doing that several times a day.

Nope. The Quad empties all the way to the last pellet. I just fill it to the brim and let it go. A bag has been getting quite a few days before I reload. The woodstove has been doing a great job so far. But around 35*-40* the pellet stove might kick on once or twice a night.

I am guilty of breaking the long ones I see when I sift the pellets and then while dumping in hopper. So I may not "level" them (other than to jam pack the hopper) but I have other OCD's that I must attain to.

I sell alot on Ebay..so I turn them inside out and use them for shipping items...I use them like an envelope..then I write on the outside with a black marker...I'm using MWP bags...these are the white ones...the others I recycle..

I find myself pushing them down in once or twice a day,but one of those times im pouring in a bag......

Attachments

• 1 001.jpg
    1 001.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 691
I think that you guys ALL have a pellet fetish. Just can't keep your hands off of them. With time you may out grow it, but addictions are hard to kick. I have to admit that I fondle my pellets when I transfer them from the bag into 5 gallon buckets in the barn, but never play with them in front of the wife or kids. :)

i have to level them out and push them under the ledge and into the top corners or the lid won't shut. :)

Waterbug said:
bigruckus said:
I sell alot on Ebay..so I turn them inside out and use them for shipping items...I use them like an envelope..then I write on the outside with a black marker...I'm using MWP bags...these are the white ones...the others I recycle..
I think that you replied to the wrong post. The thread about recycling bags is over there >>>> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/84337/

if you read the opening line in the first entry I think he did ask about the bags useage...????...well maybe you are right alittle...I just re-read it...sorry about this..still trying to move that turkey around!!...However...I do move my pellets around..the Thelin has a flat ridge in the hopper...and it does get warm inside the hopper box on that ridge..

Waterbug said:
I think that you guys ALL have a pellet fetish. Just can't keep your hands off of them. With time you may out grow it, but addictions are hard to kick. I have to admit that I fondle my pellets when I transfer them from the bag into 5 gallon buckets in the barn, but never play with them in front of the wife or kids. :)

I suppose its ok to fondle, as long as they're your pellets. We are still talking about pellets right?

wert said:
Everyone talks about how many pellets they store, or what they do with ash, or how to dispose of the plastic bags.
I'd like to know, how many people level out the pellets in the hopper?
I level them out after I put a bag in.
When I check the hopper after a few hours of burn, I level the pellets in the hopper
When I visit my friend, the first thing I do is check his hopper and level it.
After about 20 minutes of burn, a shallow void appears atop my auger.
At that time I need to level it.
Granted, I do not wake in the early morning to see if I'm leveled off, but I was
wondering if others also keep their pellets leveled.
I don't actually level my pellets, buy I will never, absolutely never ever whatsoever, under no circumstances, even consider stepping on a crack in the sidewalk.

I don't level my pellets, I actually build a mound where I know they will start to empty into the auger. I heap them there and this way I never have to see that dreaded emptiness.

I'm a leveler...Probably cause it's new, but I'm sticking my hand in there more times than I want to admit...Also count the bags of pellets that I have remaining on a regular basis!!

It is a sickness. I do it 5-6 times a day on the weekend and once in the morning and twice at night before bed during the week. If I let it go, the funnel effect takes place. I notice about 10 lbs of pellets will collect and funnel while causing a void and stove shuts down. The sides of the hopper need to be at a steeper angle or non-stick someway. Anybody have a solution??? I-mac? J??

Yep, it's hard to keep my hands off the pellets. I wonder if there is a support group and meetings to go to for the addiction? ;-)

You are probably the ones that can't walk into a room without straightening the pictures on the walls too.

Status
Not open for further replies.