Everything Drolet Tundra - Heatmax...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have sent SBI an email about my Tundra. Due to me having learned about the cracking issue from Hearth.com and not SBI i feel it is only fair to keep you guys/gals informed about my current questions and answers with SBI.
Here is a copy of my email to SBI and i will also post the response once it is received.

I purchased a Tundra on August 24, 2015 roughly 2 months ago now. I was aware of the cracking issues prior to my purchase. So before my purchase i called you "SBI" to make sure everything had been corrected. I was told Yes it was. I also asked if the units that were currently available for purchase were good to go. Again the answer was "YES". Now after doing some more research online i find out that the new Tundra units have firebricks lining the front of the furnace. I can assure you that the unit i have Serial number ( 1993) does NOT have any firebricks lining the front of the unit. It is to my understanding that now SBI has a kit that includes firebricks for the front of the furnace.
My questions now are as follows.
1)Is it OK for me to use my Tundra in its current state with out worrying about cracks?
2) Will SBI send me the "KIT" which contains firebricks for the front of the firebox?
3) Is the additional front firebricks how SBI corrected the cracking issue?
4) If SBI is going to send me a kit how would you have been in touch with me if i did not send you this email.
5) I did register my Tundra with SBI why was i not sent any information about this?
The list of questions could go on. I do not regret my purchase of the Tundra i just wish SBI would have been honest with me when i made my first phone call to you asking if all issues had been resolved and if all available units currently being sold were corrected. Due to the lack of the firebricks in the front i take it that my unit has not had the repairs done to it to prevent cracking from happening.

i will also post the response once it is received.

Nice email. If I was a bettin' man, I bet they will limit their reply to all your questions to:
-your furnace is fine, we fixed the problems.
-the vast majority of people you read about with cracking abused their furnaces.
-your satisfaction is important and to ease your mind, we are sending you the firebrick kit.

Let us know what you hear. (By the way, I think you will be fine once you install the firebrick).

Reactions: Wisneaky
Tundras new big brother...Heatpro

Alright! Some new fodder for discussion.

Are you going to start a separate Heatpro thread, or merge with Tundra/Heatmax for now?

Gotta say that plenum looks kind of funky to me. I haven't read the whole manual, but it looks like they require a user to employ at least 6 of the 6" outlets. I assume that is to ensure adequate airflow (good idea of them). However, for all of us with existing plenums, that's crazy. Either we run 6-10 6" connectors to our existing plenum (crazy octopus), or else we just rig up their plenum to our plenum. And it looks like neither of those is an approved installation. I'll have to read more details I guess.

Great. Now if you could just send me a money gram I'll get that all taken care of for you.
OK, here's the deal. I am very busy preparing for my year long transfer to outer Zimbabastan for work. I generally use LNM freight and they happen have a location near you. I will send you a check for $25,000 to cover the furnaces, the shipping, and a lil sumpin sumpin for your time and trouble. Would you mind taking care of these details for me as I am very busy right now. Oh, and if you don't mind, could you ship the furnaces before cashing muh check...? ;) ;) ;) :rolleyes:

Reactions: Wisneaky
I had a few hours yesterday to mount the return plenum and install the duct for the return also. Now all i have to do is go pick up a circuit breaker, finish outlet and i'll be good to go. Sorry to say but it looks like this is pretty much the end on my installation. Next phase i am sure will involve many questions for "yall". Trying to get someone to come over so i can measure the static pressure in the supply ducts. By the way the return duct is a single 12" round. 12" should be about 200-250 more cfm coming in compared to the amount going out. If i am not happy with the way that works i'll add another return maybe an 8" to the other end of the house. I'll be sure to keep you posted on the results good or bad of my install. Here are the last few pictures i have.

KIMG0309.jpeg KIMG0308.jpeg KIMG0306.jpeg KIMG0305.jpeg

To give an idea of cost to anyone thinking of installing a Tundra furnace here is what i have roughly invested in my setup.
Tundra Furnace= $1460
Chimney Insulated and black single wall = $1400
Controversial Cement Blocks = $20
Ductwork= $950
Electrical = $75
Material Grand Total = $3905
Labor i would figure about 30 Hours for items listed above. Cost will vary some depending on location but i think its fair to say that a range of $1000-$2000 is not out of the question.
Labor and Material Grand total = $ 4900 - $5900
Hope this helps anyone thinking of putting in a Tundra trying to figure out the real world cost of it.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Trying to get someone to come over so i can measure the static pressure in the supply ducts
You can use an inexpensive manometer. Most wood burners like the Dwyer Mark II to measure the chimney draft, which you will want to do regularly if you have a barometric draft regulator (which I'm not seeing...how tall is your chimney again?) Anyways, you can use the manometer in reverse to check and set SP too. If you need to get one, check the "for sale" forum here...there is a good deal on 'em there ;)

Good lookin install there builder! You are probably chompin at the bit to make that thing blow smoke no?! ::-)

You can use an inexpensive manometer. Most wood burners like the Dwyer Mark II to measure the chimney draft, which you will want to do regularly if you have a barometric draft regulator (which I'm not seeing...how tall is your chimney again?) Anyways, you can use the manometer in reverse to check and set SP too. If you need to get one, check the "for sale" forum here...there is a good deal on 'em there ;)

Good lookin install there builder! You are probably chompin at the bit to make that thing blow smoke no?! ::-)

Yes i would have really liked to fire it up this morning about 42 outside, still waiting to hear back from SBI about the firebricks. I did not install a barometric damper due to some reading i have done on it. Its to my understand that if a barometric damper is installed and you have a chimney fire that its like putting fuel on the fire. This set-up may change depending on results of some testing once i get this thing burning. The chimney from Tee to cap is about 24'. Thanks for the heads up on the manometer.

Can you link me or provide a picture to the manometer you speek of i can't seem to find the forsale section on here.

I did not install a barometric damper due to some reading i have done on it. Its to my understand that if a barometric damper is installed and you have a chimney fire that its like putting fuel on the fire
Yeah, that's true, but, if you are burning dry wood and are running the Tundra correctly, and maintaining your chimney, I'd say the chances of a chimney fire are pretty minimal. Most wood furnace manufacturers call for a baro, or at least they do if you have high draft. And I'm bettin your 24' internal chimney is gonna draft real well! (that's almost the ideal chimney BTW)
SBI says not to put a manual damper in the pipe, I know why they say not to use them, if you set the key damper when the intake damper is closed and then the tstat calls for heat, opening the intake damper, the chimney draft may go too low to keep things going properly...or even smoke back into the house. I put one in anyways, just in case it is ever needed, I've seen too many times where the draft goes sky high in a winter storm...gotta control things somehow

To give an idea of cost to anyone thinking of installing a Tundra furnace here is what i have roughly invested in my setup.
Tundra Furnace= $1460
Chimney Insulated and black single wall = $1400
Controversial Cement Blocks = $20
Ductwork= $950
Electrical = $75
Material Grand Total = $3905
Labor i would figure about 30 Hours for items listed above. Cost will vary some depending on location but i think its fair to say that a range of $1000-$2000 is not out of the question.
Labor and Material Grand total = $ 4900 - $5900
Hope this helps anyone thinking of putting in a Tundra trying to figure out the real world cost of it.

950 for ducting ? Yikes

Got my chimney wrapped up today! With where it had to go I'm pleased with it. Hopefully I can wrap up the install soon. With more pictures of course.

Edit: wife reminded me I forgot to mention that she put in the vinyl panels!

IMG_20151011_164841_655.jpgIMG_20151011_164916_273.jpgIMG_20151011_164921_869.jpgIMG_20151011_164916_273.jpg

Last edited:
950 for ducting ? Yikes
Yes sir, it adds up quick
i do have an extensive layout of duct work which is not always required.
that also includes the grill covers, screws, tape,firecaulk , etc.

I am not trying to be picky just helping out. If you are getting an inspection done i don't believe the wiring will pass. The Romex should be shielded in conduit.
Have fun with the duct work i know i didn't. That is one thing i never liked doing. Did your unit come with firebricks in the front? What serial number do you have on your unit?

I have sent SBI an email about my Tundra. Due to me having learned about the cracking issue from Hearth.com and not SBI i feel it is only fair to keep you guys/gals informed about my current questions and answers with SBI.
Here is a copy of my email to SBI and i will also post the response once it is received.

I purchased a Tundra on August 24, 2015 roughly 2 months ago now. I was aware of the cracking issues prior to my purchase. So before my purchase i called you "SBI" to make sure everything had been corrected. I was told Yes it was. I also asked if the units that were currently available for purchase were good to go. Again the answer was "YES". Now after doing some more research online i find out that the new Tundra units have firebricks lining the front of the furnace. I can assure you that the unit i have Serial number ( 1993) does NOT have any firebricks lining the front of the unit. It is to my understanding that now SBI has a kit that includes firebricks for the front of the furnace.
My questions now are as follows.
1)Is it OK for me to use my Tundra in its current state with out worrying about cracks?
2) Will SBI send me the "KIT" which contains firebricks for the front of the firebox?
3) Is the additional front firebricks how SBI corrected the cracking issue?
4) If SBI is going to send me a kit how would you have been in touch with me if i did not send you this email.
5) I did register my Tundra with SBI why was i not sent any information about this?
The list of questions could go on. I do not regret my purchase of the Tundra i just wish SBI would have been honest with me when i made my first phone call to you asking if all issues had been resolved and if all available units currently being sold were corrected. Due to the lack of the firebricks in the front i take it that my unit has not had the repairs done to it to prevent cracking from happening.

This is kinda funny replying to my own post but i figured i would keep the two tied together. I received my response from SBI. I told you i would keep you guys informed so here goes.Talk about keeping it short and sweet. Drum roll ---The response is. " The firebrick kit will be shipped out October 26 ". None of my other questions were answered. :p

I am not trying to be picky just helping out. If you are getting an inspection done i don't believe the wiring will pass. The Romex should be shielded in conduit.
Have fun with the duct work i know i didn't. That is one thing i never liked doing. Did your unit come with firebricks in the front? What serial number do you have on your unit?

Not worried about an inspection. Insurance company said it was good to go. I personly feel they get crazy with all the codes. I mainly was concerned and followed the CTC.
Mine didn't come with brick upfront. Doubleb drawed out prints of cut brick earlier in this thread that I followed. My serial number is 1144

OK I'm I missing something here. Manual says. First vertical start off pipe no less than 12". The start off adapter is 8". Don't tell me I need an adapter for my adapter!