Everything Fisher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the EPA would appreciate it, and I already have the plots, vaults, and headstone.

I am sure the EPA doesn't appreciate your hobby either.

You really, really need to add all of this stuff to the hearth.com wiki section on Fisher stoves to save it for posterity. It is fascinating stuff for guys like me that were burning back in that day.

Here’s the earliest ad I have found so far describing the XL in a Kentucky newspaper Feb. 1, 1977;
http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...J&pg=5507,2795459&dq=fisher-stoves+3000&hl=en

This is not the first time an ad has mentioned the “Lifetime Guarantee” from a dealer. I have a few that used that wording.

This one is a good example why you can't use ads to date a stove by hardware;
Notice they used an older picture of the three Bears. This oddity shows a one piece bent top, with the original pipe cap draft caps. Also the chrome ball handle. The draft caps went from the old pipe cap to the three fin idea of Bob’s, to the four fin idea of his father’s, then to the EZ-Spin by the 1976 Fireplace Series start. I’ve seen a few Fireplace Series after 76 with the 4 fin Baxter caps as well. So this ad was a full year after the switch to the 5 fin EZ-Spin. Fisher International sent the hardware to the licensees and they could build a stove at a later date using up old style hardware, so you can’t date the stove by the older hardware used very well. This picture must have been when they started forming the tops, and had some old 2 to 3 year old doors that were used on these in the picture. Then the dealers used the same picture at a later date in July.

Here’s another ad from the same dealer in Kentucky using the same older picture on July 19, 1977;
http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...J&pg=2850,2128937&dq=fisher-stoves+3000&hl=en

BrotherBart said:
I am sure the EPA doesn't appreciate your hobby either.

You really, really need to add all of this stuff to the hearth.com wiki section on Fisher stoves to save it for posterity. It is fascinating stuff for guys like me that were burning back in that day.

Yeah, I burn soft coal in a traction engine only when wood isn't enough. Only deal with PA Dept. of Labor and Industry with the pressure boilers. I'm out of the scope of EPA emissions. Mostly wood at engine shows, but a little coal for "atmosphere".

wiki; I know, I know, I had so many things saved in files I wanted to get it out there. Once it's all compiled into one article it would be a lot easier to decipher and add to. I want to get a copy of the old manual for the Bear and Fireplace Series to Craig first to put with the Series III manual, but wasn't sure of copyright issues. Soon the garden starts and it becomes a rainy day project.

Long story on my burial plans. My ancestors came here from Germany in 1734 and one of them started a Rhododendron garden that became a commercial sales of plants and a nursery. It was so nice people wanted to be buried there, and it started Laurelwood Cemetery with gardens and nursery to this day.
My family has handed down a row of plots over the years, and stay on good terms with the owners still. So it's very feasible to be buried in what we want. (I can't see thousands of dollars that your heirs could use spent on a expensive box) I wouldn't joke about spending eternity in a cold dark box. Incineration's not for me.
I'll be the burner not the burnee.

Do it how ya wanna do it but if on the off chance that you crap out before I do and you are buried in those Siamese stoves I will be there for the event.

I know all about burial expenses. Cost me fourteen grand for Pappy. Airfare included. He would have knocked me on my butt for it had he known.

Hey, thanks for the unexpected offer. For once it took me 24 hours to respond to that one. My last request is to turn the dampers down tight to keep the critters out. Heck, by then there should be live satelite video so you won't even have to drive.

Attachments

• Brown Mama ready to cure paint.jpg
    Brown Mama ready to cure paint.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,093
  • Brown Mama ready to cure paint 2.jpg
    Brown Mama ready to cure paint 2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,131
More bits and pieces.
Many news articles are repetitive, but some give more detailed information; This one gives a little more personal information as well.
The stove company came back to Bob and Carol in 1983.

Also another picture from 1991

Stove empire vanished like smoke; Feb. 17 1991
http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...9,4122065&dq=fisher+stoves+last+selling&hl=en

Continued here on page 6c and 7c; Includes a better scan of the very dark tractor picture!
1947 John Deere Model G in front of his home.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...,4144743&dq=toftness+radiation+detector&hl=en

For those that never knew fisher Showrooms also sold gun safes, it was due to the safes being manufactured with the stoves at the familiar 765 Conger St. factory in Eugene Oregon.

Fisher - Century Ind. (Centurion safes)
http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAIBAJ&pg=3610,251790&dq=fisher-century&hl=en

As the EPA regulations went into effect July 1 1988, the stove manufacturing ceased, but Centurion safes continue today from Liberty Safe headquartered in Payson, Utah.
Today, Liberty Safe and Security Products, Inc. is the #1 seller of full-size residential safes in the U.S. Their product line includes Liberty, National Security and Centurion.
http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_centurion.php

Here is what the Fisher Showroom business card looked like from the large showroom in NE PA. Notice the stove top step profile common on dealer business cards.
The Centurion logo is the same as used today on the Liberty brand Centurion safes. This card is from 1982, and Liberty Safe was founded in 1988. Coincedence that the "other" company logo is still used today in New Zealand?

Attachments

• Fisher Stove Card.jpg
    Fisher Stove Card.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,843
Really cool!! I never heard of the brown bear. I wonder if that dealer took that on himself to have that finish.

Coaly, Do you know if the firebox ever changed through production? I see doors and tops have changed over the years but wondered about original firebox designs.

As far as I know, the fabricators painted them and sold them to the dealers. Some shops were right behind the Factory Showroom. So I would imagine one or some of them offered the different color maybe by special order?

The actual firebox and brick did not change. (except for a slight change in size for the layout of the bottom bricks that prevented cutting bricks in the newer model. They went from courses going across, in pre 80 models, to front to back) The angle iron used to retain the fire brick was 1 1/2" X 1/8 cut to 2 inch lengths in the originals. (and they didn't warp) Later 1 1/2 X 3/16 angle iron was used in longer lengths across the sides and back. The top went from a steeper angle 15 to 17 (?) degree on the three piece to the 22 to 22 1/2* angle on the bent tops. And the "smoke shelf baffle" was added in the 1980 redesign. Those were the only changes that would affect the burn.
The 1/4" steel plate stove box originally had 1 1/2 X 3/16 welded angle iron at the corners that extended down to become the legs. After 1980 (UL listed) the steel plate was wrapped around the corners and the legs were bolted on.

Goodyear Bear ??

Attachments

• Goodyear Bear.jpg
    Goodyear Bear.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,067
LOL :). Get it back puffing just right and she looks like she'd scoot right along.

I was waiting for a Photo Chop with racing stipes and a puff of smoke out of her behind.
Gotta admit they are quite aerodynamic for a wood stove.

Attachments

• Pinewood Derby Bear.jpg
    Pinewood Derby Bear.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,953
Actually, that Mama Bear was just on her way out to the garage with her cub.

Attachments

• Mama and cub.jpg
    Mama and cub.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,063
coaly said:
Actually, that Mama Bear was just on her way out to the garage with her cub.

I seriously need one of those stove go-carts.

coaly said:
I was waiting for a Photo Chop with racing stipes and a puff of smoke out of her behind.
Gotta admit they are quite aerodynamic for a wood stove.

Aerodynamic like a Mack truck :).

Attachments

• Goodyear-Bear.jpg
    Goodyear-Bear.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,894
Thanks for the firebox info Coaly! If it ain't broke don't fix it :)

Like the mod on momma...How about some caster bear paws?? :lol:

Nonprophet said:
Hi Coaly,

Great job on putting all this together--it's been a fascinating read! It's of particular interest to me because I live in the Eugene/Springfield area, the 1822 42 st address is about 8 miles from my house! In fact, if you'd like photos of the original shop, I'd be happy to take some for you.

Thanks again!

NP

More information for you Nonprophet; I wasn't ignoring you, I've been trying to confirm an exact address of the original rented shop that was P&C Garage, then rented by Bob.

This is why I started a working thread to compile information and dates. Information given in news articles is sometimes inaccurate. Exact dates aren't given in the book, and searches don't always come up with news articles, but they can be found sometimes with obscure search words.

Pg. 93 dates Chapter 5 as August 1976.
Pg. 104 in The Fisher Story mentions a 7 acre property purchased for a new shop on 42 nd. street that later becomes the office of the national organization.
On pg. 120 and 121 are details about the fire at the rented original shop.

I've dated this fire and page 120 to March 26 1977 with this news article;
Fire hits business, home
http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...J&pg=3634,6387615&dq=fisher-stove-works&hl=en
So, 135 Commercial Street was the address given in the paper for the original stove shop, but Google Maps does not show a Commercial St. The name may have changed, since on the map today I only find Commercial Ave. Maybe the newspaper called Commercial Avenue, Commercial Street instead??

Here's where our "non profit Springfield affiliate" is needed.
If you can find a building at 135 Commercial (whatever) and get pictures it would greatly appreciated ! This should be the location of the original shop. Looks like Commercial is only a block off main going up 42 st. towards Weyerhaeuser.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=135 commercial ave. Springfield Oregon&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq;=&hnear=Commercial Ave, Springfield, OR 97478&gl=us&ei=7di1S83nEoT68Aag_7WtAw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ8gEwAA

It's not too often I find a new deviation of a stove model........

Here's a strange one; I believe an artist rendition, and a poor one at that ! In this ad there is a 78 in a star like the Bicentennial 76 double doors. From a Spokane Washington paper, This would be an ad from Dick Higgins Stove Shop in Post Falls Idaho. This ad also gives his entire dealer list he sells stoves to as well. Strange that this stove shows the older style spring handles, older "Baxter" draft caps (most shops were buying the 5 fin EZ-Spin by 78) and the doors are not drilled all the way through for hinge pins. I've only seen this type hinge pin pressed in the door hinges on the first 76 models.
I'm thinking IF this is not a picture, (shadow looks strange and the soil line under the trees is straight, not curved and wispy) someone drew this for the ad from an older 76, and put a 78 in the star for the following model year ?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AJ&pg=3949,3242497&dq=steel+plate+stove&hl=en

My grandson brought to my attention a Fisher Stove on Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 !
He say's go to "Map Derail" and inside one of the cottages is a Grandma Bear ! A bit rusty, and has "DISHER" on the doors.

Here's another deviation of what I believe is a 76 with only one day to go on ebay.

Possible diamond in the rough for someone in the upstate New York area !
Looking close you can see the stars on the doors.
Notice the Fireplace style legs.

I asked the flue size to make sure it wasn't an XL with 10 inch. It's not, but the seller claims it's a 7 inch ??? Not sure about a 7 hour drive to get this one, but the legs give it a different look for a 76 Bicentennial example. Problem is the seller has not verified if this has other stars with 76 on them ! I've asked twice. Letting it ride at 100 bucks all week. eBay ugh.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-Wood-Sto...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335b8761d2

Attachments

• Grandma FP.jpg
    Grandma FP.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,831
OK, XL FANS !

A XL stove has been located in Delta Ohio. Found on Craigslist for $100. (and I didn’t miss a zero, that is One Hundred US Dollars) Purchased from Michigan, just over the border.
No, it’s not mine. The lucky owner found this thread and emailed me the information on his stove. He is now a member on the site, and will answer any questions about an XL you may have ! His member name is “lightning” and none of this info would be known without his help. Thanks again, we really appreciate it !

Width of top plate; 34 ½ “
7 Bricks across the back. (this compares to 5 in the Grandma, and 6 in the Grandpa)
5 Bricks down the sides.
6 “ rise in the top plate, the same as Grandma and Grandpa. (?)
(they always looked like a larger step to me in ads, and this is the first actual XL stove we are able to get measurements from).
There IS a smoke shelf baffle with rounded corners inside, above the fire box. So that should put this in the 6 grams smoke per Kg. Burned range.
Door markings inside have a “XL-L” on the Left, and a “XLR” along with the letter M at the top on the Right side.
Fir Tree design, bent corners and of course the 10 inch flue pipe.
No UL Listing tag, but it does have a tag on the back with the number E 2163 on it.

Lightning picked up a new camera, and should be sending me more pictures soon.
He is heating a 2050 square foot house and blowing insulation in the walls.
Hope he has a good A/C system because he’s going to need it to burn this one next year !

It’s in the process of cleaning up for next seasons burn. Here’s the first pictures of the newer style XL with Fir Trees and the Fisher trademarked logo on the right door.

(Lightning wants to know if I can trace his serial number. Don’t think he realized until now we didn’t even know an XL existed, then alone know they have a number on them) Sorry lightning, you’re the XL expert until the welder hits me up.

My first question; What does it measure from firebrick to firebrick across the stove for a maximum log length?

Second question; That step on the top still looks bigger than 6 inches to me in the pictures !
If you take a straight edge, like a yard stick and extend the top height out over the lower height, does it only measure 6 inches from the lower level to the straight edge??

Attachments

• XL 1.jpg
    XL 1.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,876
  • XL 2.jpg
    XL 2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1,852
the door opening is 24 x 14. the top is like a arch shape. the step up is only 6 inches. i know it looks more. thanks 4 writing all the info down. i hope it creates more of hipe.

Welcome lightning. What are your plans for the stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.