Everything you know is wrong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thechimneysweep said:
Received this E-mail from a visitor to our website this weekend. Evidently, Bub stumbled across the Firewood FAQ's article in our Sweep's Library, and took exception to the information about green wood. Thought I'd share with the forum.

"You are either ignorant or deceitful. "Green" hardwood burns all night with a clean blue flame. Keep the drafts open and adjust the damper. The steam increases both the efficiency of combustion, through the coal tar reaction; and the conductivity of the effluent. Do your chemistry and physics! Most of what you say about creosote is crap too, but that's your business."
[email protected]

Bub, has to be an engineer.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/read-on/2008/09.06.3.html

Adios Pantalones said:
I wuz cipherin some on the chemistration and such, but I gotted a head ake.

GW - is that you?? :lol:

Me thinks that Bub has more than his chimney plugged up!

You guys don't know the half of it, man. I heard there is this insert that runs on water, man, WATER. And everyone could have one, but the firewood industry is trying to do a coverup and this website is helping by covering up the effectiveness of fuels with water in them.

Seriously, WATER, man, aych two freaking oh!

This guy has to be a government engineer. Sadly though, he is surely going to get some sort of following from like minded idiots looking to substantiate their own misguided hopes. A moron with a keyboard is more dangerous than one with a gun. I wonder if he is a member of W's inner circle?

thechimneysweep said:
Bub wrote:

>You are either ignorant or deceitful<

-- So which is it? Own up.

Peter B.

I don't know. And if I did I wouldn't tell.

Ha, ha....too good. Brilliant!

I am going to get myself in trouble here. Back about 25 years ago when I had a open fireplace I Preffered GREEN Alder for my fireplace. It took a short time to get going but once I got it going I did have lots of blue flame and it did burn HOT! I do not recommend this however It is what it was.
Oh ya and the Super Cedars started it with no problem(whole one)

OK now go ahead and hang me!
Thomas

At least Bub will get his name in the paper.

A massive chimney fire at Bub's place could be seen for 20 miles away.
The house was a total loss as Bub stopped the firefighters from pouring water on the flames thinking that the water would increase its burn time. Instead Bub got a 5 gallon container of gas and threw it on the flames in hopes of extinguishing the fire. Though the resulting explosion and fire Bub sustained 2nd degree burns and lost most of his hair. Three policemen had to wrestle Bub to the ground to stop him from using additional gas to himself to put out his clothes. Bub is now at County Memorial Hospital in fair but confused condition wondering why the gas didn't extinguish the flames.

NW Fuels said:
I am going to get myself in trouble here. Back about 25 years ago when I had a open fireplace I Preffered GREEN Alder for my fireplace. It took a short time to get going but once I got it going I did have lots of blue flame and it did burn HOT! I do not recommend this however It is what it was.
Oh ya and the Super Cedars started it with no problem(whole one)

OK now go ahead and hang me!
Thomas

Just a bit curious . . . around here alders are more of a brush than a real, true tree. I mean they grow like a tree, but about the biggest they get in diameter is five or six inches. Are alders like that in your area?

MishMouse said:
At least Bub will get his name in the paper.

A massive chimney fire at Bub's place could be seen for 20 miles away.
The house was a total loss as Bub stopped the firefighters from pouring water on the flames thinking that the water would increase its burn time. Instead Bub got a 5 gallon container of gas and threw it on the flames in hopes of extinguishing the fire. Though the resulting explosion and fire Bub sustained 2nd degree burns and lost most of his hair. Three policemen had to wrestle Bub to the ground to stop him from using additional gas to himself to put out his clothes. Bub is now at County Memorial Hospital in fair but confused condition wondering why the gas didn't extinguish the flames.

This is classic . . . loved it . . . I'm still laughing. :)

I think Bubba is a good name for him. But it reminds me of how many people think with emotion instead of facts. I see that all the time and don't waste your breath trying to convince them.

Crap, All I have is dry seasoned wood. Do you guys think I can get the elusive BLUE FLAME by simply adding a gallon of water or so when I load my stove?

Darn, all that time spent putting up and covering next years split wood supply is going to ruin it for sure! I'll just go right up and take the covers off so the snow can melt in it and keep it nice and moist for next winter. Will probably need to get a sprinkler on it this summer though. Anyone have some fire hose and a big pump? Steaming fires in the T6!

Never heard of such bull crap. Even 'seasoned' wood is not dry enough as we have found. Tom's guide for how long the wood takes to ignite convinced us to get a year ahead with our wood. Burning two year old, left from last year, dry covered wood now and it is easier on the stove operator and results in hotter fires and cleaner chimneys.

I heard someone asked Bub to spell his name backwards...he's still thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.