Evil Granberg File n Joint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nixon said:
precaud said:
Agreed, oldspark, it's a very precise tool and gives the best results to anything I've used. The only tricky thing is setting the height in the tooth, especially on chains with 10º tilt. The rest is a no-brainer.

Last week I got one of the Husky roller-type file guides to use with my Dolmar 5100. It's quick and easy to use but the saw definitely doesn't cut as fast after using it, compared to the Granberg. Yesterday I was out in the woods and it was immediately obvious that it lost that "hungry in the cut" feel. I do like the Husky guide for setting the rakers, though.

Is there any chance that You ,or some others that have had success with the Granberg could make a video ,or pictorial of how to set it up and use it ? I gave up on mine ,as have others . It's quite possible that it was due to operator error .
Not a video and not a Granberg but these instructions for the Stihl model taught me a few things.
http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/FG1_Manual.pdf

Thanks ! that's a start to understanding how to use it .

There's a video on Granberg's website, it's not very thorough but is shows the basics:
http://www.granberg.com/videos.html

It's the last one, titled "Granberg Chainsaw Accessories Details", the File-n-Joint section starts about 2:35 minutes in.

Time to pay a visit to your BIL's unliked friend...

For chains where the file is perpendicular to the bar, the standard Oregon and Stihl guides are the easiest to use and give great results. The Granberg is nice when you need a 10º tilt, it holds all the angles nice and consistent.

When you replace chains make sure you get chisel tooth chains. They have the square tops. Chipper chains are tough to sharpen by hand because you cant visualize the angle as well. Never thought they cut worth beans either. Make sure you have the right sized files to there are slight variations in the round sizes. When I do my rakers I have saw in vise, file free hand and count your strokes. I will go about 7 swipes a side with small flat file. The most important is don't cut with dull teeth as it hardens the steel and to get a file to cut the tooth again is a pain.

precaud said:
There's a video on Granberg's website, it's not very thorough but is shows the basics:
http://www.granberg.com/videos.html

It's the last one, titled "Granberg Chainsaw Accessories Details", the File-n-Joint section starts about 2:35 minutes in.

Time to pay a visit to your BIL's unliked friend...

For chains where the file is perpendicular to the bar, the standard Oregon and Stihl guides are the easiest to use and give great results. The Granberg is nice when you need a 10º tilt, it holds all the angles nice and consistent.

Again , Thank You . I'll just pay the 27.95 and chalk it up to lack of patience and give it another go . If I'm still not as smart as the file jig , well I never claimed to be a rocket surgeon any way ..

Status
Not open for further replies.