Examining chimney before install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamkam

Aug 1, 2008
SW Conn.
We're crossing our fingers that our insert will be delivered soon. So, when I was up on the roof cleaning the gutters, took a look at the top of the chimeny and the flashing and mortar looked a tad -- to my untrained eye at least -- dicey. There was a fair amount of gobbed on sealant and cracking mortar.

Wondering if it's ok to wait for the installer and any patching that needs to be done, can be done then and there when the liner and cap are put in, or if it's more prudent to call a mason to check it out.

Thoughts?

Is insulated considered necessary in certain climes? That's one I've yet to come across. I thought there were just different gauges and SS versus titanium, etc.

Insulated is not a requirement. You could go either way. Now if asking opinions - I could come up with a few. If its an exterior, cold climate stack I would say "absolutely". If interior and/or moderate climate, dunno. Probably not as important.

Jags said:
Insulated is not a requirement. You could go either way. Now if asking opinions - I could come up with a few. If its an exterior, cold climate stack I would say "absolutely". If interior and/or moderate climate, dunno. Probably not as important.

Sorry to come off like a semi-dolt but what's the difference, considering were on border of zone 6 and our chimney is an exterior one?

You are probably one of the cases that a coin toss would win either way. Insulation on a liner is intended to keep the flue from cooling off. Exterior runs will cool off faster than interior runs. Cold climates will cool a flue faster than warm climates. Mix and match at will.

Insulation serves the purpose of keeping cold off of the flue as well as heat off of the chase. In some cases, due to clearance issues, insulation is required to meet code. Lots of variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.