Examples of raised hearths?.................................Or suggestions of how to trim out a rais

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tronz

Mar 9, 2006
I am in the planning stages of creating a raised hearth for a propane fireplace to be installed soon. The project is in the pre-construction phase, so the fireplace will be flush with the wall. Given some of the limitations I have for installation, I am planning on an 8" raised hearth with 12" x 12" marble tile surface. I want the vertical rise for the hearth to be made of wood with a bullnose sort of wood trim.

My question is, does anyone know of a site where I could possibly view examples of what I have described above? Or does anyone out there have any suggestions as what type of trim I could use to create the bullnose affect? I want a wood trim to make the corner from the vertical rise to the surface, with the 12" x 12" marble butting up to the wood trim.

Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance...........................................

tronz said:
I am in the planning stages of creating a raised hearth for a propane fireplace to be installed soon. The project is in the pre-construction phase, so the fireplace will be flush with the wall. Given some of the limitations I have for installation, I am planning on an 8" raised hearth with 12" x 12" marble tile surface. I want the vertical rise for the hearth to be made of wood with a bullnose sort of wood trim.

My question is, does anyone know of a site where I could possibly view examples of what I have described above? Or does anyone out there have any suggestions as what type of trim I could use to create the bullnose affect? I want a wood trim to make the corner from the vertical rise to the surface, with the 12" x 12" marble butting up to the wood trim.

Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance...........................................

Look at my post in the pictures section titled "before the Osburn" I did something similar, except mine is all tile. I did come across some tile that looks so much like wood it's truely amazing, and that would help keep wood away from the heat of the fireplace. It's almost a guarantee the wood will expand and contract near a fireplace. If you do choose wood I'd also recommend using plywoods as they are much more stabile. It sounds an awful lot like this is more of a wood working issue than fireplace, so I also suggest you stump for ideas over on the WoodNet forums. Those folks are amazing woodworkers and will likely give you lots of ideas.

Go look for local cabinet and wood working shops to get info on premade mouldings. The BORG has some, but it's mostly Oak and Pine. If you want something different most hardwood dealers also do custom mouldings for a price, but in what your doing, there's not much so the cost shouldn't be all that bad.

Keep the thread going with more specific questions if you have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.