Excel 4" pipe install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

v2kea412

Nov 2, 2008
Standish, ME
Hi there. New to the pellet stove scene. I have an Osburn Hybrid 45 and just purchased excel 4" since I am going through a partition via a wall thimble, to a tcap, then up 6 feet to a 90, then out 8 feet through another thimble to the great outdoors. I have two questions. First, I am installing this in my finished basement, do I need to hook up the intake vent port, or can it simply draw air from the inside basement? And second, the ecel wall thimbles have lips on their outer edges. How have people installed this to the outside walls without the plate bending? Perhaps I am not understanding. Any help would be great. The guy that was supposed to install just had surgery and will not be able to install for me...

I like the install... Looks great! I will go get some J chan at the Blowes or Home Cheapo and some 1" plywood. When you cut your plywood, how did you cut the hole for the pipe? did you cut a square 7.5" x 7.5", or a 6" or 7" circle? Thanks for your response.

-dennis

I used 1 inch ply because I had it, but 3/4 plywood will work too.
I cut four strips and siliconed them to the back of the thimble then predrilled the holes through the plywood and applied silicone the plywood face to the building and used four deck mate screws.

Quick Update:

Got the stove pipe all installed, have burned through 4 bags of pellets, and really am liking the heat...

I also hooked up my wireless thermostat and did my own install and custom hearth pad... Quite gratifying!

I would like to note that despite what others have written on the idea that the stove in the basement will not heat the upper floors, my furnace has yet to run for the past 8 hours with my pellet stove set for 70 degrees in the basement... The temp upstairs is consistently 73...

The only issue that I would say that I have is my convection fan makes a horrendous noise until it gets up to higher temps... and the damper control took some time to tweak correctly... Going to call the place I bought the stove, the sound is terrible...sounds like there is a piece of tin stuck in the motor....

I had the same loud noise coming from my Osburn's convection fan. I loosened the four screws very slightly (1/8 turn) to let the rubber gasket act more as a vibration absorber and very seldom get the noise now - only very briefly on the cool down phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.