Excel Pellet Vent Pipe questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskaCub

Apr 4, 2008
Interior Alaska
I stumbled across some fairly good prices on Excel Pellet Vent pipe today so I bought it rather than ordering it from down south, and have a couple questions. This pipe has the orange silicone gasket built into the pipe. Is there anytng special that needs to be done when installing it or just slip it over the pipe and screw the screws in? Also have any of you ever used wall supports on the inside of your house? I have about a 6ft interior vertical run from the stove to where it exits the house and it seems like its a lot of weight with no brackets supporting it all? I am oh so close to having this P68 roaring and its just in time as its been getting down near 40 at night already up here. Thanks in advance.

Anyone...Anyone?

What I really need to know is whether or not its stanard to have all the weight of the Pellet Vent Piping weighing down on the elbow at the bottom of the stove with an interior vertical set up. I am thinking that putting some bricks on the hearth under the elbow would help to support the weight. I havent seen anyone using brackets on this kind of install. Sure need some help folks.

I can help. I highly recommend the excel pellet pipe,and who wouldn't because it is a charm to work with.As for the gasket,I installed it as is and it was fine but after reading the instructions (after!? duh) I learned that they talked about using a lube on it,I can't recall but I think it said to use dish soap and never petrol based lube.You should get an instruction sheet,if not email me and I will dig mine up to be sure.
I was sold the wall bracket you describe by a knowledgeable sales guy and for 15 bucks it was a little tough to swallow at first but it was an important part of the structure of the pipe. I should also say that I have since moved the stove and can't use the bracket and have it "just hanging there" but will have to add a support. The three screws do a fairly good job however keeping it all together. Hope this helps.

Reactions: KMinNH
As you can see below, this is how I support the weight of my pipe. I had a friend fabricate this 1/8" steel platform for me and if you look close, you'll see a regular pipe bracket down at the bottom that is mounted tight to hold the weight of the pipe.

I'm guessing that your pipe is double-walled and if it's similar to Duravent Pro then I would suggest adding a few screws at each joint to hold them firmly together, but only using 1/4" sheet metal screws and nothing longer so they will not penetrate the inner liner. I don't know how your pipe exits the room at the top, but even if you could simply run a few small metal straps vertically at the top and attach them to both the pipe (with 1/4" screws) and the ceiling somehow, this would greatly help support the weight of your piping and eliminate the need for bricks under the elbow.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Attachments

• Stove51s.jpg
    Stove51s.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 838
Thanks guys, I intend to screw the pieces together with the povided hardware and dish soap sound slike a good lubricant for those orange gaskets. We'll see how it all comes together.

I'm located in interior AK. I nearly completed the install of a Quadrafire Castile today. I'm using the excel pipe also. I used dish soap to lubricate the silicone gasket and it worked great. Where did you purchase your pellets? I have been chasing the shipments to the box stores for over six weeks. It appears I arrive a few hours after they sell out. I can't get a straight answer from the staff regarding pre-selling the pellets or when the next container will arrive. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.