Excessive cleaning? - CB1200i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyD

Jan 24, 2008
Eastern PA
My Quad CB1200i typically gets a cleaning every sunday afternoon. After vacuuming the ash in the main part of the stove, I remove the baffle plates, vacuum the heat exchanger tubes and then remove those two little doors to the access area behind each side of the burn pot to clean out those areas as well.

It really doesn't take that much longer to do. Do you think that little bit of extra cleaning is a little over the top and that maybe I should cut it back some? Say every other week?

Curious in the NE.
Thx,
Jim

Cleaning the loose fly ash out of the baffles keeps it running at maximum efficiency. You could probably do it once a month but I don't see any harm in doing it weekly. The longer you wait to do it the more time it takes, try doing one that hasn't been cleaned out in 3 years.

I've only been running my Drolet Eco 35 since late December. I've been cleaning the inside with a vacuum along with the heat exchanger tubes and burnpot usually every couple of days.
I figured that I'd be ok to clean the unit thoroughly at the end of the burn season until the other day. My stove was burning bad for a few days, the burn pot was over filling sending clinkers all over the place in a matter of hours in use. It would also blacken the glass almost completely in less than to hours.
So I took apart the clean out T and couldn't believe the amount of fly ash that was in there, it was blocking the exhaust pipe out the back of the stove by almost 1/3.

So you might be going a little over board with your cleaning, but I don't think it's a bad idea at all, I'm going to go into a lot greater detail in my cleanings from now on with more frequency.

Since I've done so, my stove has actually run better than the day I installed it.

I don't think there is such a thing as excessive cleaning.

I do a casual cleaning of my Enviro Meridian once a week and a thorough cleaning twice a month.

Like any machine, the cleaner you keep it, the better it will run.

It takes me less time to clean the stove when I do it regularly. If I let it go for a month it takes forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.