Exchanging stoves - impact of keeping 8" flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adb3

Feb 17, 2008
FL
our new stove has a 6" flue and the original has a 8". will the new stove draw sufficiently if i run a 6" flue to the ceiling and then use a converter to go the the 8" existing pipe? that will give me about 6' of 6" and 8' of 8" chimney.

thanks,

The height you have is on the edge of what is recommended for a minimum on most EPA stoves. The rule of thumb is always same size chimney as the flue outlet on the stove you are buying.

What stove is it going to be?

looks like we'll get a Quadrafire step top.

Is the 8 in chimney masonry or stainless? How tall is it in total? Being in florida, you aren't going to see really cold temps so it could be an issue since your temp differential will never be that great.

pen

I have the same setup for now 2 years without a problem except the total length for the 8" Insulated Chimney Pipe
is 30' and it is over drafting.

pen said:
Is the 8 in chimney masonry or stainless? How tall is it in total? Being in florida, you aren't going to see really cold temps so it could be an issue since your temp differential will never be that great.

pen
'

the 8" is triple wall steel pipe.

and how tall?

The total chimney height is about 14'. less than 6' in the house, about 4' thru the ceiling and 5' about the roof. that adds to 15'. The last section of triple wall is 5' and it attaches to the triple wall that goes thru the attic.

That's about the minimum height too. I'm thinking you will be coming up short on draft.

pen

When we moved into this house, there was an old insert shoved into a exterior fireplace with a chimney that had round flue tiles at least 15" in diameter. There was no connection between the stove and chimney. It didn't draw great, but it rarely caused problems (other than the creosote buildup). Your setup sounds like it should have a good chance of working fine. Won't hurt to try it. Worse case you have to replace the chimney section at some point.

If it doesn't draft well you could always try making the stack a bit taller before replacing any pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.