Excited.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omaha419

Burning Hunk
Jul 19, 2015
Falling Waters, WV
After a long time of only being able to burn wood in an outside firepit, I'm finally going to be able to take it indoors. The house I'm having built in WV will have the fireplace shown in the pictures below. I'm kind of kicking myself for not asking about getting an insert.

Since my flue is a metal pipe and not a traditional brick chimney, will the insert be much easier to install?

Looking forward to NOT using the electric heat pump.

36ece42791618aa869c4e5dbaf948584.jpgd5d8a1977c23bf47d54fd8c2f39f0e42.jpg

Since my flue is a metal pipe and not a traditional brick chimney, will the insert be much easier to install?
what fireplace is it? Most prefab fireplaces dont allow inserts to be put in them. And those that do can usually only fit very small inserts. And no due to the tight quarters the install is usually harder

I'm not going enjoy saying this but how quickly can you pivot on this? That fireplace is unlikely (won't) give any real heat and as bholler says will limit or possibly negate the ability to put in a real insert that can act as a legitimate heater.

If you can do it save the money your spending on the fireplace and labor and put in a free standing stove where that fireplace is going.

Last edited:
what fireplace is it? Most prefab fireplaces dont allow inserts to be put in them. And those that do can usually only fit very small inserts. And no due to the tight quarters the install is usually harder
Not sure. I should've looked at that.

This fireplace looks like an insert, without the fans to provide circulated heat. Shouldn't I be able to remove this one and put an insert in?

This fireplace looks like an insert, without the fans to provide circulated heat. Shouldn't I be able to remove this one and put an insert in?
No an insert needs to go inside a working wood burning fireplace and it needs a high temperature flue which most prefab fireplaces like that one pictured do not have. So your options would be if that fireplace is one that allows an insert then you could put one in it and run a stainless liner from that insert to the top of the chimney. Or pull the whole thing out chimney and all and replace it with a zeroclearance epa fireplace and a chimney to match it. Or leave that as a recreational fireplace that will not make much heat and put a stove elsewhere.

I apologize for my hard headedness in advance.

I just don't see why this unit, for example, wouldn't be able to slide in the fireplace's place.

Because if you read the manual you will find that you will meet none of the clearances to combustibles required by the unit. And... your current chimney would melt.

Reactions: Omaha419
I just don't see why this unit, for example, wouldn't be able to slide in the fireplace's place.
Because you would burn your new house down. The insert needs to go into a working wood burning fireplace with all of the proper clearances to combustibles.

Well you will be able to have nice ambiance fires. If you're looking to heat the house and dent the heating costs you'll need something else. Freestander or as holler said an EPA fireplace. Freestanding stove is cheaper alternative AFAIK.

If the fireplace is not installed or fired yet ask if it can be exchanged for an EPA fireplace from Northstar, Superior, Kozy or other mfg..

I will find a local dealer and see what my options are.

This is a kick right in the balls.

I thought all fireplaces were brick. Didn't know about the clearances needed for an insert either.

Ballpark, getting a free standing stove with the liner and all, how much should I expect to spend?

Reactions: jatoxico
No. A kick in the balls is after you tile and finish this insert into your new home and you burn it down. This is a minor setback. You where smart to ask questions upfront...maybe not upfront enough, but still the timing could have been worse.

Chin up. :)

how much should I expect to spend?
How much do you want to spend? Somewhere between $2000 and $6000 will cover most options.

I was guessing around 5K. My brother is very good at stuff around the house, so maybe I can save some on labor.
Many, Many folks here have done successful DIY installs. You just want to make sure your ducks are in a row. One thing often overlooked is insurance. Some embrace the DIY, some require Pro installs, many are somewhere in between. Check with them first.

You also need to do allot more research so you fully understand all of the products. And start getting your wood now you need good dry wood

That's a ZC fireplace, you won't get much heat from it. Put in a insert or a woodstove and you'll really appreciate it.

An insert is not an option here. A replacement fireplace or wood stove are options.

Sorry if this s a bit of a downer but all is not lost. You still have time to change the plan to suit your needs. If your hope was to get serious heat then don't spend any more on finishing that off that fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.