Exercise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
greythorn3 said:
boy i would rather live in -25f then live in the lower 48 states anyday.

I laugh when I read comments like this....because it's in our diversity, that we find our strength. If there was one State, one county, one town that was "the best" there would be 310 million Americans living there. "Best" is entirely relative.
I salute you, enjoying life in Alaska. I salute you enjoying life in (the rest of) America. I salute you enjoying life in the rest ( majority) of the World.

Education is the Mother of Tolerance.

I figure I'm about 40% with my winter tri axle load. A good side effect of a snowless winter.
I've been splitting and stacking as I'm going. Set up splitter in front of the pile, vertical, cut up some logs, split, and toss into garden cart, drive to pile and stack.
I climbed a little the other day to cut and the logs shifted after a complete cut, so the heck with that, I'm using the peavy to roll it down.
Can I say again how great the husky timber tongs are for getting the rounds to the splitter:
21SkA1ry-2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

edit: In any event, barring snow etc, hopefully will be done before the black flies come out. They were real bad last year.

Hogwildz said:
My new exercise load came today. Am partial to oak, but nice mix, Ash, White & Red Oak, Cherry, Hickory, Birch, Maple. Should keep me busy for a few weekends. Can't wait to smell each flavor as I cut em up.
Dunno why, but I love this sheet.

How is the processing going Hogwildz?

zap

zapny said:
Hogwildz said:
My new exercise load came today. Am partial to oak, but nice mix, Ash, White & Red Oak, Cherry, Hickory, Birch, Maple. Should keep me busy for a few weekends. Can't wait to smell each flavor as I cut em up.
Dunno why, but I love this sheet.

How is the processing going Hogwildz?

zap

Slow, work has been busy, usually spend an hour or two processing after work, but that time is not available now. Last weekend I stacked a bit over a cord I cut & split. Got some cut a couple days ago. Even the damn weekend time is eaten up. Hoping to get at it this weekend though.

Some progressmade, a lil more than a 1/4 through LOL

Attachments

• SAM_1770.jpg
    SAM_1770.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 345
  • SAM_1772.jpg
    SAM_1772.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 337
  • SAM_1771.jpg
    SAM_1771.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 345
Hogwildz said:
Good deal! I like getting stacking this early; It'll blow off a lot of the initial moisture now, and the heat will get here in time to get it down to a burnable MC.

Wow 6-8 cords how much do you burn per season?

Hog- If you process in that spot routinely, maybe you need to find the local PPL guy and drop a case or two of beer onto him. 3 or 4 old telephone poles as permanent runners would be nice, maybe?

mywaynow said:
...3 or 4 old telephone poles as permanent runners would be nice, maybe?
I lack the heavy equipment to move telephone poles around but I was looking to scrounge up some old railway ties to lay down under my log piles. Those could be manhandled into place.

Everytime I drop an old dead or dying Poplar in my yard, I contemplate dragging it in tree length over to my processing area to use as runners, but it's too much work so I just buck it up and give it to the neighbour.

Hogwildz said:

Looks like things are going just fine, it looks like the warmer weather will return Mondday.

Nice work,Zap.

LLigetfa said:
mywaynow said:
...3 or 4 old telephone poles as permanent runners would be nice, maybe?
I lack the heavy equipment to move telephone poles around but I was looking to scrounge up some old railway ties to lay down under my log piles. Those could be manhandled into place.

Everytime I drop an old dead or dying Poplar in my yard, I contemplate dragging it in tree length over to my processing area to use as runners, but it's too much work so I just buck it up and give it to the neighbour.

You don't like poplar?

Hogwildz said:
Nate, been strangely in the 40's all week almost. Damn near 50 a few days. Lots of rain though. Don't remember a January with this many unseasonably warm days. I ain't complaining though. Just want to get this stuff processed before it warms up and the nats and insect come back out. I won't process in the warmer weather, I get eaten alive back here.
Hog,I'm with you on the cold cut.I don't like to mess with wood when it's above 40*

Estang, I sued to do about 4 cord a year, and some nasty crap for the shoulder seasons. This year since December, I have used about 1-3/4 cord. Used to religiously load every 8 hours(3x per day). This year I am loading every 12 hours or 2x per day. So 8 cords should do at least 2 winters.

MyWay, I actually have telephone poles laying in the field that the previous owner left here. I been wondering what I may do with them. but I will sent them up out near the barn rather than in the driveway. I had the logger put donw 4 runners out of the load I got, works jsut as well, nut when done, no moving them, just cut, split and stack with the rest. I kinda like it that was better.

Zap, I was out yesterday and today working on it, near 1/2 way there I guess. I was slacking at sharpening the chain, and didn't notice it was dull till today. I had a spare new one so put it on, and holy shat! I cut more today than in the last two days worth of cutting combined.

The only thing that sucks is there is alot of poison ivy on the poles, but i pick it off as I always wear gloves. Haven't gotten it yet.
If I toss the vines up on the hill, is there any chance they will root and grow? I don't want the stuff habitating there. Figured since it is cut and half dead or dead, I would be ok?

Jeff, Today it was cold to me here. Never got out of the 20's, but I still managed to work up a sweat.
Of course the last 2x I cut was just flurries and a few snow showers, but as soon as I am splitting, damn snow squalls come in ans get everything covered just enough to get soakedm including me. But I love this stuff. Got a great workout this weekend, and I am def feeling it now.

Been there on slacking on the chain, I'll file out in the woods when needed. Seems like your making your way through at a good pace. I hear Gamma can swing the maul real good depending on what she is splitting!

zap

Looking good
Yes there's a chance the ivy will take root from the pieces, it's a tough plant.
Black plastic garbage bag in the sun for a few months kill most plants, then bury or land fill :)
I was told once to not burn it & get the smoke on you, some are allergic enough to the smoke it gets in the airway, but sounded like a wives tale to me. But never took the chance.

bogydave said:
Looking good
Yes there's a chance the ivy will take root from the pieces, it's a tough plant.
Black plastic garbage bag in the sun for a few months kill most plants, then bury or land fill :)
I was told once to not burn it & get the smoke on you, some are allergic enough to the smoke it gets in the airway, but sounded like a wives tale to me. But never took the chance.

Well I already tossed a bunch on the hill, and it is covered in snow now, so we shall see.
It is true not to burn it, worse than outside is to get it inside you.
I don't get it as bad as I used to, but do still get some spots here and there.
When I was a kid I would get covered in it, would get around & in my eyes and glue them shut.
Had to get a shot and take the steroid pack which is a certain number of pills a day reducing by one each ay until all taken. Poison Sumac & Poison Oak were the worst.
Guess I have a better immunity to it as I get older, or just avoid it more successfully.

Hogwildz said:
bogydave said:
Looking good

Well I already tossed a bunch on the hill, and it is covered in snow now, so we shall see.
It is true not to burn it, worse than outside is to get it inside you.
I don't get it as bad as I used to, but do still get some spots here and there.
When I was a kid I would get covered in it, would get around & in my eyes and glue them shut.
Had to get a shot and take the steroid pack which is a certain number of pills a day reducing by one each ay until all taken. Poison Sumac & Poison Oak were the worst.
Guess I have a better immunity to it as I get older, or just avoid it more successfully.

I remember looking like a walking piece of chalk with all the calamine lotion on.
Funny , didn't bother Dad at all.

Well, after taking last weekend off to spend with my wife to be, I got back at the processing this weekend. Should be done splitting next time I get at it.
Then stacking resumes. Exercise, it sure was. Hurts so good.

At one point, I looked over the house and saw blue skies with the moon showing. Looked in the other direction and dark wall of clouds rolling in. % minutes later, it was here. Almost snow.....not ice balls like hail, but not full blown snow flakes either. Not quite exploded to form the flakes.
Then another 10 minutes gone by, and blue skies & sun again.

Attachments

• SAM_2040.jpg
    SAM_2040.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 281
  • SAM_2042.jpg
    SAM_2042.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 250
  • SAM_2049.jpg
    SAM_2049.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 245
  • SAM_2062.jpg
    SAM_2062.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 248
  • SAM_2034.jpg
    SAM_2034.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 245
  • SAM_2037.jpg
    SAM_2037.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 250
  • SAM_2056.jpg
    SAM_2056.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 252
  • SAM_2048.jpg
    SAM_2048.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 281
Some close ups of some grubs I found. Today's catch was a spider colony, 2 ant colonies, and a grub farm.

Attachments

• SAM_2043.jpg
    SAM_2043.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 259
  • SAM_2044.jpg
    SAM_2044.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 274
  • SAM_2045.jpg
    SAM_2045.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 243
Hogwildz said:
Some close ups of some grubs I found. Today's catch was a spider colony, 2 ant colonies, and a grub farm.

Good fishing bait ;)
For your next break from wood splitting.
Looking good,
Looks like you are over 1/2 way there :)

bogydave said:
Looking good

It isn't a wive's tale. Don't ever burn poison ivy. The smoke can potentially kill, if you inhale it. The first documented uses of chemical warfare involved various North American native tribes, who would bundle and burn poison ivy, so the smoke would blow onto their attacking enemies.

Hogwildz said:
Well, after taking last weekend off to spend with my wife to be, I got back at the processing this weekend. Should be done splitting next time I get at it.
Then stacking resumes. Exercise, it sure was. Hurts so good.

At one point, I looked over the house and saw blue skies with the moon showing. Looked in the other direction and dark wall of clouds rolling in. % minutes later, it was here. Almost snow.....not ice balls like hail, but not full blown snow flakes either. Not quite exploded to form the flakes.
Then another 10 minutes gone by, and blue skies & sun again.

Nice work Hogwildz, looks like some great btu's. Did ya make Gamma come over to split?

zap

Sisu said:
bogydave said:
Looking good

It isn't a wive's tale. Don't ever burn poison ivy. The smoke can potentially kill, if you inhale it. The first documented uses of chemical warfare involved various North American native tribes, who would bundle and burn poison ivy, so the smoke would blow onto their attacking enemies.

+1 - just to hit the point home for everyone - burning poison ivy can be extremely harmful. Never burn it - fire pit, etc. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.