Exercise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zapny said:
Hogwildz said:
Well, after taking last weekend off to spend with my wife to be, I got back at the processing this weekend. Should be done splitting next time I get at it.
Then stacking resumes. Exercise, it sure was. Hurts so good.

At one point, I looked over the house and saw blue skies with the moon showing. Looked in the other direction and dark wall of clouds rolling in. % minutes later, it was here. Almost snow.....not ice balls like hail, but not full blown snow flakes either. Not quite exploded to form the flakes.
Then another 10 minutes gone by, and blue skies & sun again.

Nice work Hogwildz, looks like some great btu's. Did ya make Gamma come over to split?

zap

Nah, done did it solo. Was mentioning to the wife to be that she can split and stack, and was told I am the man, that is it my job. LOL
I said that is right I am the man, and I give the orders. Another LOL
Just measured what I have split so far. Stacked on the right is 1-1/2 cords. The big pile is 7.5 cords. Have another 1/2 to 3/4 cord to split yet. So at least 9 cords or so. I am very happy, and will be using this guy for a while to come yet. Not the great pricing I used to get, but $700.00 for 9+ cord is good enough for me.
Now I need more pallets. Too wet to stack the excess in the barn, or maybe I will anyways. I have about another 2-3 cords in the barn and on the hill, and another cord on the left side of the row. So maybe 3 years ahead now. What the 30 will be fed when I ever get that hooked up might add another couple cord a year. Want to get another load delivered, but its getting warm and I hate processing when its warm out. Lat weekend I was sweating bad enough. No insects out yet, cept some flies. They really love fresh cut wood, they were on it like stink on u know what.

As far as the poison Ivy....I tossed some up on the hill, and the rest in the stone drive. If it does live I'll be spraying that crap. I'll keep an eye on it. Haven't gotten any processing yet.

Sisu said:
bogydave said:
Looking good
Yes there's a chance the ivy will take root from the pieces, it's a tough plant.
Black plastic garbage bag in the sun for a few months kill most plants, then bury or land fill :)
I was told once to not burn it & get the smoke on you, some are allergic enough to the smoke it gets in the airway, but sounded like a wives tale to me. But never took the chance.

It isn't a wive's tale. Don't ever burn poison ivy. The smoke can potentially kill, if you inhale it. The first documented uses of chemical warfare involved various North American native tribes, who would bundle and burn poison ivy, so the smoke would blow onto their attacking enemies.

Down in the Yucatan in the 16th century various native tribes piledgreat heaps of dried Habanero chiles then set them alight upon Spanish invaders. If you ever been around the fumes created when mixing minced green or ripe Habaneros,lime juice,raw onion & garlic when making salsa - I highly recommend doing it outdoors and/or wearing a mask. :vampire: :wow:

Thistle said:
Sisu said:
bogydave said:
Looking good
Yes there's a chance the ivy will take root from the pieces, it's a tough plant.
Black plastic garbage bag in the sun for a few months kill most plants, then bury or land fill :)
I was told once to not burn it & get the smoke on you, some are allergic enough to the smoke it gets in the airway, but sounded like a wives tale to me. But never took the chance.

It isn't a wive's tale. Don't ever burn poison ivy. The smoke can potentially kill, if you inhale it. The first documented uses of chemical warfare involved various North American native tribes, who would bundle and burn poison ivy, so the smoke would blow onto their attacking enemies.

Down in the Yucatan in the 16th century various native tribes piledgreat heaps of dried Habanero chiles then set them alight upon Spanish invaders. If you ever been around the fumes created when mixing minced green or ripe Habaneros,lime juice,raw onion & garlic when making salsa - I highly recommend doing it outdoors and/or wearing a mask. :vampire: :wow:

Just made home made chilli last night. And yeap I chopped up some Jalepenos, Sarrano, and some finger peppers. Not Haberneros, but the chilli turned out great! Just the right amount of bite. And the next day, bamm! all those delicious flavors merged together. I did forget to wash my hands and rubbed my nose and yowza!!!!!!!!

Hogwildz said:
all those delicious flavors merged together. I did forget to wash my hands and rubbed my nose and yowza!!!!!!!!

Yeah, just don't forget about it when you go to get rid of the rented beer. Don't ask.

Hogwildz said:
Thistle said:
Sisu said:
bogydave said:
Looking good

Just made home made chilli last night. And yeap I chopped up some Jalepenos, Sarrano, and some finger peppers. Not Haberneros, but the chilli turned out great! Just the right amount of bite. And the next day, bamm! all those delicious flavors merged together. I did forget to wash my hands and rubbed my nose and yowza!!!!!!!!

Good thing you didn't go No.1!!!!! :wow:

Hogwildz said:
Thistle said:
Sisu said:
bogydave said:
Looking good

That sounds awesome.I havent made chili in almost 3 months,gonna do that in a couple days now though.Anymore I wear those disposable latex gloves when cutting up any of those basturds.Some Habaneros & Indian Ghost chilies are reported to burn through those I heard lol.Rubbing nose is bad enough,your eyes are much worse. :gulp:

Come on ice cream!!!! (Remember Cheech & Chong,I forget which LP that's from though :lol: ) Seriously though,any stew,chili,pasta sauce etc is almost always better the next day after everything blends.Its too hard to wait until then to eat it however.

LMAO, learned that lesson way back. Also while a kid, we used to steal tomatoes veggies etc from neighbors gardens to throw at cars, houses etc. Yeah I was that kid... and one night I picked some hot peppers, unknowingly. Well I knew it the second I rubbed my eyes later that night. Karma didn't wait so long to get back to me on that one.
Speaking of chilli, not to get too graphic, but I was maybe 10 or so and ate lots of chilli at grandmoms, well after crapping for about the 5th time, my butt was quite sore from wiping, well I rummaged through granny's medicine cabinet and found this stuff called BenGay, said it relieved pain & soreness... thought, hmm this should help. Well unfortunately I didn't understand what "don't use on or near mucus membrane" meant.
I was not a happy camper for the rest of that night. And was too embarrassed to tell anyone.
Seems I learn many lessons the hard way. ;-)

Thistle said:
Hogwildz said:
Thistle said:
Sisu said:
bogydave said:
Looking good

That sounds awesome.I havent made chili in almost 3 months,gonna do that in a couple days now though.Anymore I wear those disposable latex gloves when cutting up any of those basturds.Some Habaneros & Indian Ghost chilies are reported to burn through those I heard lol.Rubbing nose is bad enough,your eyes are much worse. :gulp:

Come on ice cream!!!! (Remember Cheech & Chong,I forget which LP that's from though :lol: ) Seriously though,any stew,chili,pasta sauce etc is almost always better the next day after everything blends.Its too hard to wait until then to eat it however.

I was eating it while making it. Prolly ate a couple bowls full not shortly after it was all together and hot. DEF better the next day. Slow cookers really turn a meal into a delightful treat for the taste buds.

Real nice work (and a lot of it) Hogz - stacks are looking great! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Yeah not bad, shame is, I have to move the big pile and put on pallets.
That big stack averages 16' x 10' x 6' high. I have a good bit of exercise to go. About 1/2 or a lil more is going on pallets right behind the pile. The rest....time for more pallets, and the wood drive through is going to become longer.

Hogwildz said:
NH_Wood said:
Yeah not bad, shame is, I have to move the big pile and put on pallets.
That big stack averages 16' x 10' x 6' high. I have a good bit of exercise to go. About 1/2 or a lil more is going on pallets right behind the pile. The rest....time for more pallets, and the wood drive through is going to become longer.

Ugh! Been there, done that. Not a load of fun.....but hey, more exercise! :cheese: Cheers!

Nice work hogzy...
One word.....,
Tucks.....
For next time..stay away from the Bengay.....nuff said
. :lol: :lol: :smirk:

Nice work....So THAT'S how it's done! How were those Neandetrthal protein pills? Grubs are supposed to be good for ya...

GAMMA RAY said:
Nice work hogzy...
One word.....,
Tucks.....
For next time..stay away from the Bengay.....nuff said
. :lol: :lol: :smirk:

And dont grab those IcyHot back pain pads by mistake without turning the overhead light on first...Just sayin' ;-)

Tucks always comes to mind!
I won't be relearning that lesson until oldtimers sets in!
No grubs on the dietary intake here. The only pills I take are Advil, Simvistatin & Percocet for those long overworked days ;-)

Hogwildz said:
LMAO, learned that lesson way back. Also while a kid, we used to steal tomatoes veggies etc from neighbors gardens to throw at cars, houses etc. Yeah I was that kid... and one night I picked some hot peppers, unknowingly. Well I knew it the second I rubbed my eyes later that night. Karma didn't wait so long to get back to me on that one.
Speaking of chilli, not to get too graphic, but I was maybe 10 or so and ate lots of chilli at grandmoms, well after crapping for about the 5th time, my butt was quite sore from wiping, well I rummaged through granny's medicine cabinet and found this stuff called BenGay, said it relieved pain & soreness... thought, hmm this should help. Well unfortunately I didn't understand what "don't use on or near mucus membrane" meant.
I was not a happy camper for the rest of that night. And was too embarrassed to tell anyone.
Seems I learn many lessons the hard way. ;-)

"and it burns, burns, burns
the ring of fire
the ring of fire"!

Aight, So I finally got it all stacked. Looks to be 7 cord (of new processed added to about another cord and 1/2 already stacked)maybe a tad over. Not quite the 8 or 9 I was hoping for, but I am ok with it. Really REALLY do not like processing or stacking wood above say 40 degrees. Sweat, black flies, just ain't liking that! Don't care for the cloud of gnats swarming around my head.... Lesson learned not to wait too long again! Couple photos of the wood drive through.
Picked my first tick off me the other day also, while at a job looking at a wreck. Slightly brushed up against some small tree and 20 mins later, scratched my neck to find the lil fker making his way to dinner.

SAM_2251.jpgSAM_2348.jpgSAM_2349.jpgSAM_2350.jpg

Looking good Hogz .....and I hear you on the ticks. Its gonna be ugly out there during spring gobbler season, first year I haven't been excited about turkey hunting in a long time....

Nice load there. Just getting into mine. All maple, some the cuts are sweet! A little bittersweet after the horrible sugaring season we just had.

Nice load there. Just getting into mine. All maple, some the cuts are sweet! A little bittersweet after the horrible sugaring season we just had.
yeah I do sugaring on a hobby scale. I was hoping for 30 to 50 gallons of syrup this year over the course of 5 or 6 weeks....ended up only getting 19 gallons over 3 weeks. Totally disgusting.

Now that is some nice heat stacked up. Very nice job hogs now the hard part burning it up lol.

Pete

HW, nice job on the wood. Looks like the cooler weather will be with us for another 10 days or so, guess it's time to get the beech on the side of that hill.
zap

My dad and I started into 12 cord this week. Funny how this work seems like fun.
And when it's all done, I often walk around the stacks, and sometimes bring a chair with me!
Thanks for the pics.
How are you going to split it? I'm splitting with a maul so far, but am second guessing my commitment on some 24" diameter yellow birch....

Mine is all split except for some rounds I scrounged, that even my splitter will not split. Not sure what it is, but it is all twisty and just does not split worth a damn. So I'll let it dry some and see if that helps. But, the load I got in is all split and stacked. I use a North Star splitter I bought off my neighbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.