Exercising Oil Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBNH22

Feeling the Heat
Mar 17, 2013
NH
Now that I have the Biowin and Nyletherm in place I no longer will be using my oil boiler for heat or DHW but I understand that I should exercise it from time to time.

I have a little less than a quarter of a 250 gallon tank's worth of oil. I haven't turned it on for a few months but I was thinking of turning it on once every other month or so to let it run for awhile.

Also, how long can heating oil sit in a tank without going bad?

Any recommendations on maintaining an idle oil boiler?

Heating oil keeps a long time as long as bacteria doesn't get into it. You can get biocide from most boating suppliers. I think Hamilton Marine has it. I have a jug of it to add to my tanks but it is supposed to be added before filling so I need to hook up a pump and mix it after the fact. I have two tanks and am thinking of switching all the oil to the newer tank and pulling the older one. Supposedly CN Browns Red Shield oil has some sort of additive package that has biocide.

The last tech who worked on mine had no specific recommendations except keep an eye on it if it starts to leak. I assume you keep yours "cold". Some brands of boilers don't like being cold and will start leaking others don't.

I have a Trianco Heatmaker and it's kept cold.

I'm hoping I never have to use it again on a regular basis for anything.

We all do, I turn mine back on with a low setpoint when I leave for extended periods in the cold weather since unlike you pellet boiler, I need to be home to feed the wood to boiler when the storage runs low.

When I ran wood only for a few months.. I had issues with the fuel pump on the oil burner sticking.

It would take a second to spin the fan by hand, then reset. Since then, I've let it come on once every 5 or so weeks.

JP

Added Biowin biocide to the oil tank, use dehumidifier in basement and run burner for 10 mins or so every 2 months.
Done this for a couple of years and no problems so far.

I think a lot depends on the environment the tank and the oil boiler are in. A damp basement will make any boiler scale and plug up fireside HX passages. An oil tank that is outside or in a garage that is subject to the warm humid air on it's cooler tank surface and likewise condensation into the oil is also bad news.
On the other hand a steady state temp and humidity location for both and I'd think an exercise every other month for 10min should be satisfactory. My guess is oil is good for 5 years in the tank and biocide is a good idea, just pour it down the fill pipe before a delivery.

TS

FWIW, I hadn't run the oil boiler since Nov. 2010. This early spring we went away for a week. It fired right up....no fiddling required. It was a little smokey for about 30 seconds and then was clean. I used it for a few days before we went, went back to the Garn for a week, and ran oil during the week we were gone and kept the house warm. No problems at all. Fuel is 5 years old. I'd like to put some biocide in sometime when I fill the tank (500) next....but that may never happen. :) Though I likely should.

Status
Not open for further replies.