exhaust blower gasket torn mt vernon ae

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Jul 23, 2008
Northern RI
according to the instructions you are supposed to remove the exhaust/ convection blower once a ton to clean behind it. Well mine fell to peices (4 and some dust) simply rotating the blower to remove it. The dealer I got the stove from is closed until the 5th of jan, but the two nearest open ones can't even get the part. Any thoughts?

Automotive stores sell gasket material where you can cut your own from the material.

I was just coming here to ask the same question ............... Is the red good enough for this area 600F?

If the seleant does indeed work, is there any reason to spend money on a gasket that will no doubt crumble again?

Why not just use the sealant.

Jeremy

JW_CANADA said:
I was just coming here to ask the same question ............... Is the red good enough for this area 600F?

If the sealant does indeed work, is there any reason to spend money on a gasket that will no doubt crumble again?

Why not just use the sealant.

Jeremy
I used some 800F Black silicone from Rutland brand. Bought it from Home Depot.

JW_CANADA said:
I was just coming here to ask the same question ............... Is the red good enough for this area 600F?....

Don't be concerned with the color of the silicone....just make sure the tube says it will handle the temp. you need.

Sorry, let me rephrase the question............ does the exhaust blower area exceed 600F (red silicone temperature)

I am screwed now anyways, my stove has a quick coupling flange to connect to the exhaust pipe that uses another gasket that has fallen apart as well. The stove was new in the fall and I have burnt two tonnes of pellets. I didn't anticipate the gaskets being a problem when cleaning. The maual says "every season or two tonnes". What they fail to mention is have a set of replacement gaskets on hand because you are going to need them.

I am going to have to wait till everyone re-opens next week to get parts.

JW

A store in seekonk RI actually sells the gasket material that you need
So do several internet stove shops. I made a template off the housing and am back in buisness...
as for the silicome I think either would work as they are on the rest of the system and well the housing doesn't glow or discolor... so it isn't that hot

Just experienced the same thing while doing my first cleaning of the stove pipes/ motors myself. My exhaust gasket torn while turning the motor off. This is the second cleaning of the stove. The first was done professionally (145.00) I watched very closely and saw that I could very easily do it myself even better than he did. He never replaced any gaskets or oiled anything. I questioned why he didnt oil or replace gaskets......and he said you dont need to........which I thought was odd but what did I know? Now after reading this site I am finding out there are alot of things that can help prevent failure. Thanks to a wonderful very informational web site!!

Bottom line is DIY if you want a really good job....even if you have to pay someone to get the experience becasue you're a newbee. My stove is a Breckwell P23.

I found a place on the internet that sells the gaskets in a 3 pack for 15.00.

http://www.nevelsparts.com/store.php/products/combustion-blower-c-g-105

I think I'll pick up a pack of these to have on hand. For the price you cant go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.