Exhaust blower gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregpiro

Oct 28, 2008
maryland
Fixed the exhaust blower on my quad 1200i yesterday. Had to remove motor and splice a wire and make a solid connection. It works now. In removing the blower motor twice I destroyed the flimsy fiberglass gasket. My friend said I didn't need it. There are 6 screws that hold the blower motor to the exhaust manifold on the stove. Seems to me that since the exhaust is pushing past this area it would create a negative pressure and not blow the exhaust gas out the tiny gap that is there without the gasket. Any thoughts? Thanks

My experience (not specifically with pellet stoves) is that if a gasket it used, it's needed. I wouldn't delete any gasket. Can you fabricate something or go with a liquid gasket?

gregpiro said:
Fixed the exhaust blower on my quad 1200i yesterday. Had to remove motor and splice a wire and make a solid connection. It works now. In removing the blower motor twice I destroyed the flimsy fiberglass gasket. My friend said I didn't need it. There are 6 screws that hold the blower motor to the exhaust manifold on the stove. Seems to me that since the exhaust is pushing past this area it would create a negative pressure and not blow the exhaust gas out the tiny gap that is there without the gasket. Any thoughts? Thanks

Your friend is partially correct, however you do need to make certain there is a gas tight seal where that gasket was, not all metal is honed enough for a gas tight metal to metal seal, a number of folk have used silicone with the proper temperature rating, there is one stove manufacturer that provides a reusable silicone rubber gasket, some folks have been known to use thin window gasket, the long and short of it is that you will likely need a gasket of some kind. Then there is the fact that the gasket also serves to dampen motor induced vibrations. The air pressure is not completely even and negative in all directions at the outside end of the impeller.

I have some orange high temp RTV I thought about using but I guess I will look into getting the proper gasket. Just trying to save a buck. Thanks

That gasket can be had for pretty cheap, or around $10 (+ or - $5 depending where you go). There are numerous places to get them. Your local dealers, an on-line store ( www.woodheatstoves.com ), or one of the dealers on this board. Some give very good discounts (Forum member Eric at Kinsman stoves, or Forum member stoveguy13 has sold some products at generous prices).

No matter where you go, I would recommend putting something there. Some have used high temp silicone, but I wouldnt go down that road, just because of the scraping and cleaning after every removal.Thats just me though. Some have bought the sheets of Lytherm off the net and can make 20 gaskets of whatever shape you want. Many different avenues to use, just depends which you choose.

I got sick of changing those gaskets (they only last once and cost too much) and went with one that can be used over and over with no sealant. Its a Spectre 10 x 10 x 1/16 in. compressed ceramic fiber custom exhaust gasket material available at your local Autozone, may have to order in store. If you order in store, its free shipping. Can be cut with a good pair of scissors and drill bit for the small holes, however your gonna need an outline to make it to the right size.

You can get get here:

Spectre Gasket 565

Hope this helps!

I ordered the gasket from ebay, thanks. Also bought 6 new matching screws from hardware store. I have one other important question. When my blower quit working my 1200i continued to feed pellets and burn. It caused the glass to turn black and the stove to get real hot. Because of this I will no longer burn overnight when sleeping. I think something is fried in the control box. My exhaust blower used to turn off about 10 minutes after the stove shut down. For the past couple years I have to turn it off via a wall switch since it never shuts down. It is an insert and powered by the previous fireplace insert which is connected to a wall switch. Is there an easy way to test the control box? How much is a new one? Easy to install? Thanks, Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.