exhaust blower motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubbz

Jan 18, 2007
Pocono Mts, Pennsylvania
I have a Breckwell p-24 pellet stove insert, its 13 years old and iv'e replaced all 3 motors within the last year. My problem is a lazy fire . I vented to the outside and had no better results. My exhaust goes up a chimney pipe about 12 feet. Iv'e cut my feed rate down as low as possible with the variable resistor on the control board. My problem as with other Breckwell owners seem to lie with the exhaust motor. I wonder if it is undersized for the stove. This morning after watching more pellets load up in the fire pot half burned, I wondered if I have a weak connection to the motor. I just wired the motor to an outlet to see if it runs any better.Its been running for half an hour and the fire looks very strong. Would there be any problem running the motor externally as such?

It is possible that one leg coming into your house has a lower voltage than the other, are those outlets on the same breaker or different.
Shane and Hearthtools are the breckwell guy's, and they would know better, I'm sure they'll be here soon.

But as far as the motor being stronger when plugged into the wall outlet:
If the power at both outlets is the same, I would think it is control board related, As far as the Harmans are concerned the voltage to the motor can be adjusted but unless you have the tools to know what you are looking for you may not want to try this. I don't even know if Breckwells have this adjustment or not.
As far as all 3 motors going in 1 years time that seems odd.
But as far as combustion motors going amongst other owners, no 2 installs are ever the same and depending on the venting those motors could be working harder than they should, Is the flue clean?
How old is this stove? EDIT**** Just saw it 13 years old
How often do you clean the entire stove?

Thanks for replying GVA. I found my schematic and it does run off 115 volts just through the thermodisc. My motors didn't all go at once but I got around to replacing them all last year as all were pretty worn out.

Try some of the steps on my help files listed on the parts pages
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/breckwell_parts.htm

But here is a few thing to check

Burn pot? does it make a good connection to the air tube
IS the burn pot level?

Door seal and tight.

Clean out traps closed?

Do you have 3 or 4 inch pellet vent all the way to the top?

Thanks for the reply. The door seal is new, exhaust motor clean and free. I have hooked a hose to outside air with no different results. I adjusted the feed rate to the lowedt setting. The stove works fine till a bed of coals get established in the burnpot. At that point the fire seems to get lazy and not burn the pellets completely. From that point on the pot starts to fill up and less air gets through. Would a fan attached to the air pipe forcing more air into the pot help? Even with the damper wide open I don't see much change in the flame. The air tube as I see can only fit so tight, I don't see how you could tighten it up. Could you explain about the burnpot being level to me . I'm confused about that one. The pellet vent ( 3 or 4 inch) all the way to the top. Could you explain this one too? I don't even know what the pellet vent is. Thanks

Burn pot Level? Is the Pot the Fire in Level There is a adjustment screw on the bottom.

Burn pot tight and all the way to the back? Bush the burn pot back against the back.

Pellet vent? YOUR EXHAST VENT did they run it all they way up the chimney and is it 3 or 4 inch.

If you get no diffenct when you pull the air rod in and out then you have an air leak or you flue (venting/pellet vent) is blocked
Have you checked the termination cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.