Exhaust Blower Problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrome93

Feb 6, 2008
Central MA
It's been a while since I posted. Just recently started the stove for the first time this season. I've got a question before I call a tech and spend a lot of money. Any help would be appreciated!
I have a freestanding Lopi Pioneer.My exhaust blower sounded like it was going toward the end of last season. (bad ticking sound) I cleaned it over the summer, seemed to work o.k. for the past couple of weeks when I would turn the stove on briefly. Now when the stove is running the whole stove will sound like it's about to fail and then rev back up. Eventually it does stop and the light goes on. Now is that a faulty exhaust blower shutting down the stove when it fails or is it something else? The convection fan was replaced in '08 as well the control board (power surge).
Thanks in advance!

Chrome, I'm assuming that during your end of year major cleaning that you did last spring/summer, that you removed the comb. blower from the stove, and scraped and wire brushed ALL of the accumulated soot off the fan blades and scraped the flat surface of the motor housing underneath the fan too?

(I actually use to loosen the set screw, and remove the fan from the shaft from my Astoria to clean it 100%).

Thanks for your post!
I did unscrew the blower and clean it. The blower was clicking like crazy at the end of last year so when I cleaned it and it sounded much, much better I thought I could get another year out of it. I just talked to a local stove place and they said that if the blower is going and not pulling much air then then the stove could fade in and out, almost shutting off. Does that sound like the probable scenario?

Sounds like your not getting full voltage to the motor,is that the only motor the fades in and out if it is then its probably the motor if not check for 120 at your wall socket.You could also test the fan when disconnected from the stove and see if it still does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.