Exhaust blower won’t start.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnl57

Dec 21, 2008
michigan
I have a Whitfield Profile 30-2 fs.
The exhaust blower won't start on it's own. I push the motor cooling fins with a screw driver. After the motor starts it runs fine.
On this unit the blower has 3 speeds for the 3 heat selections.
I'm not sure if the motor is going bad, or the control board.
Thanks for any help.
johnl57

Probably the motor. Have you oiled it? Get some 3 in one and take out the black plug and put a few drops then start the motor.

The Whitfield Profile 20 combustion motor nor the convection blower are oilable. The motor is most likely tired and should be replaced.

I must be mistaken I thought I remembered the manual stating they needed to be oiled. But yeah if they're non-oilable replacement is the only option.

Sounds like the manufacture is trying to makes some bucks selling motors. Using a "lubeless" motor for a high temperature operation is not reasonable.

I would still try to oil the motor anyway, even if you have to take the motor apart, you have nothing to lose.

Most of the stove manufacturers are going to the sealed bushing motors because generally speaking most consumers don't oil or over oil them which ends in the same result, IMHO. These replacement parts are as good or better than the oilable units, even though it was standard procedure to always lubricate any moving parts.

I don't see how a "sealed" (I have never heard of it) bushing is "as good or better", the OP is reporting a "maintenance free" motor seizing up already. The way a bushing works is as the friction heats up the bushing and shaft, oil is drawn out of the bushing to the friction area to lube it. There is not an endless supply of oil in a bushing/housing, the reason some manufactures recommend oiling bushings every 6 months (a drop or two). Higher heat applications would draw even more lube out of a bushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.