Exhaust brand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonGT

Oct 19, 2011
Sparta,WI
been redoing the exhaust on my stove since the person who installed it(previous owner) did not use RTV or screws on it..just put the pipes together. :mad:

this is the kind of pipes that were used
http://www.menards.com/main/heating...2-ez-adjust-length-black/p-1323184-c-6893.htm

he used two 12" pipes and they connect together inside the wall thimble so i was unaware it was two pipes until i just pulled the pipes out. should i just try to RTV the pipes and make it work or should i just trash it and by a single longer pipe?

problem im having is the pipes connect INSIDE the wall thimble so if i RTV the pipes together and use screws they will not slide through the thimble opening with out cutting the opening where the screw heads are. the twist lock pipes form HD look handy. They do offer the same brand pipe i have at menards in a 5' length but its $50 and for that i could get a 2' one from HD and a adapter with the twist lock?

i see menards has a 3" X 3'. i could just do that and just have the one pipe? it would be a bit longer sticking out but that should not hurt anything? next summer id like to add a 3' rise to the exhaust as suggested by the manual. is there a limit to how far out the pipe support brackets will reach out?

It is a safety hazard (not allowed by the vent makers installation instructions and against most codes), the venting can get hit, the joint open up and since it is hidden you don't notice it until your house catches fire or you pump enough exhaust into the wall cavity that it comes out in other parts of your house.

Both of the above things are bad things (tm).

You also have to stay with the same vent manufacturer since the parts are not interchangeable.

Your restrictions and capabilities are dictated by the vent maker whose product you are using.

After removing the piping that had the joint in the thimble per Smokey's info i purchased a single 3 foot duravent pipe and it seems to fit much better then what was on there. Only thing left to do is caulk around the pipe/thimble outside and i can start it up to see if i have solved the problem of smoke smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.