Exhaust clearance Harman XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trettig

Nov 6, 2011
Central Mass
Hello,
From looking at the attached photo do you think a direct vent on a Harman XXV can go between the windows about 6 feet from the oil vent? Please share your knowledge. Sorry I don't have dementions. I am purchasing this house.

From looking at the Manuel - I can be 9 inches from the windows and 6 feet from the oil fill. Does this seem correct? THIS IS WITH OUTSIDE AIR VENT INSTALLED.

I have attached a few photos from the manual.

Attachments

• IMG_7139.JPG
    IMG_7139.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_8979.PNG
    IMG_8979.PNG
    72 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_8978.PNG
    IMG_8978.PNG
    68.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
6 feet - doesn't matter if you have an OAK or not. The OAK install only comes in play when they are worried about exhaust being sucked back into the house (with an OAK you shouldn't create negative pressure in house so it pulls air from outside), or the OAK sucking up the exhaust from something else and sending it thru either the fire (bad for fumes) or thru the air coming out the heat tubes (bad for occupants breathing). The service supply is a completely different animal - probably worried about potential of sparks coming out the exhaust while the oil tank is being filled - could go boom. Unlikely? Perhaps. But if the wind is right (or wrong as the case may be), the stove malfunctions, and/or Aquarius is in the Second House, it could happen.

Reactions: trettig
Image 8978.png under paragraph B says it all for windows clearance, indeed with OAK it appears they are allowing 9" below and to the side of a workable window.

Looks like I will be good to go with the OAK. Thanks for your responses!

What type of exhaust kit would you all recommend? Where should I purchase? Recommendations?

What type of exhaust kit would you all recommend? Where should I purchase? Recommendations?
Hmmm, sorry just getting back to the board from yesterday, didn't realize you have more questions. Where will the stove be installed ( basement, first floor etc) ? Hey at least this will give your thread a bump !!

Hmmm, sorry just getting back to the board from yesterday, didn't realize you have more questions. Where will the stove be installed ( basement, first floor etc) ? Hey at least this will give your thread a bump !!

The stove will be installed in the living room where we will spend most of our time.

Ha, sorry - I thought your question was about the oil fill, not the window clearance - I should have paid more attention!

As for exhaust kit - if you can go straight out you can get a Duravent kit from a BBS for reasonable money. However, that will probably not include an OAK, nor will the thimble be set up for an OAK. You can get those parts from a pellet stove retailer or from various places on the internet. And, Duravent is not the only exhaust options out there, just probably the most well known. If you aren't going straight out, then you will need to measure to figure out how it will be set up (for example, the positioning of electrical wiring within the wall as well as where studs were located required that I had to offset the piping from my stove, so I couldn't just go straight out). Also remember you are not allowed to have a join within the wall cavity, so the 1' sections in a kit may not entirely work for you. Most manuals have recommended configurations (not that you can't deviate, you just have to think more about them).

Whatever you get, make sure it is rated for pellet stove use. Also, if you plan on burning a corn/wood pellet mixture then you need to make sure to get venting that is rated for corn (I believe it is more corrosive).

Bogie, heating oil does burn and burn well but you won't get a BOOM like gas. It is a slow burning fuel basically diesel fuel.

As long as you are able to meet clearances within the manual you'll be fine. Manual specs are the go to. I had some windows to deal with on venting but they are easily met as long as you think and out smart the window openings.

I assume the OP wants to come out below the windows with a straight shot since they cited a direct vent scenario. Things can be tight but as long as clearances are met then it would be covered. There are also threads here about getting smart with the windows like making them inoperable but easily undone for when the stove would not be running and windows open might be wanted.

I would suggest you ask the local building inspector for the town the house is located in. He'll be the one that gives the final approval for the permitting and inspection. Show him/her the copies of the manuals pages you posted and the picture of the house where you want to install it.

Bogie, heating oil does burn and burn well but you won't get a BOOM like gas. It is a slow burning fuel basically diesel fuel.

As long as you are able to meet clearances within the manual you'll be fine. Manual specs are the go to. I had some windows to deal with on venting but they are easily met as long as you think and out smart the window openings.

I assume the OP wants to come out below the windows with a straight shot since they cited a direct vent scenario. Things can be tight but as long as clearances are met then it would be covered. There are also threads here about getting smart with the windows like making them inoperable but easily undone for when the stove would not be running and windows open might be wanted.

Thank you bags - I am very well aware of what heating oil is, having used it for 30 years. I'll just leave it at that - I've already had enough irritations for the day, so will try not to let them get at me.

I would suggest you ask the local building inspector for the town the house is located in. He'll be the one that gives the final approval for the permitting and inspection. Show him/her the copies of the manuals pages you posted and the picture of the house where you want to install it.

Excellent notion!