Exhaust/Combustion Blower CFM

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrsdws

Feeling the Heat
Feb 9, 2011
Central Illinois
I just ordered new new high ouput exhaust/combustion blower for my Baby Magnum to help me burn pellets better.

I am curious how many CFM are other stove's combustion blowers rated for?

j-takeman said:
85 CFM is about the norm, But I have seen 105 CFM.

Yep... 80-90 is what I see most. Did it state what CFM it is supposed to be??

Supposed to be a 2 speed blower, for the Baby, and I think it has a different vane configuration? For overall better flow throughout all heat levels. Trying to talk my buddy (barnyard840x) into getting the Bigger blower and Cast Pot.

There was a blower in the 2nd hand/or Scratch and Dent (whatever its called) section on Magnums site.

Either way, please post pics of the New and Old blower and if the Vanes are different. Your pics of the burn pot differences were fantastic.

Hope this gets you where you need to be. Im sure you have come a long way since your 1st thread on the Baby. But getting the best burn and running efficiently is parr of the whole addiction.

I got a whole slew pf parts that I have been replacing on my Fahrenheit. The combustion blower was one of them. Along with an updated Sail Switch and some gaskets. Hope to finish up tonight...

Good luck. Keep is posted.

The new blower is supposed to be 105 CFM on the high speed. This is what they recommend leaving it on for corn also. It is supposed to have the different vane configuration, too. I inquired about just a blade replacement, which still shows as available on their web store, but their tech says it's no longer available because they found it stressed the original blower motor too much. My Baby is a 2007 model, which is the year they upgraded to the high output blower as standard, but it was well noted in their tech bulletins that all remaining stock would be used first.

New 2 speed blower installed and running....HUGE difference. Now I'm getting light grey ash that blows out of the pot and considerably more heat output.

Here are a couple of pictures of old blower/blade vs new. Roughly 3/8" tall vane versus nearly 1.25" vane.

Attachments

• DSC_0003 (2).jpg
    DSC_0003 (2).jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC_0005 (2).jpg
    DSC_0005 (2).jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 404
That first pic is ugly....that's a stove that is running VERY rich. Hopefully, yours will look something like this next time you pull it out for cleaning:

Attachments

• blower vanes.jpg
    blower vanes.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 324
Uh huh...I wasn't surprised as I had such a rough time burning pellets. What to use to clean it up as I'll put it away for a back up?

I'd remove the fan from the motor shaft and try a de-greaser first... or maybe oven cleaner??? Then use a putty knife and scrape the motor body clean. Some minerals spirits or kerosene on a rag might work.

You get the idea.

BTW, if you try removing the set screw from the fan blades, and can't seem to get one to fit, it MIGHT be a metric size, or Torx head....I found out that mine had a T20 Torx.

Some stove combustion blowers top out at 60 CFM and run in the 30 to 45 CFM range normally, these stove require a good natural draft.

The stoves with large air flow rates normally also require an OAK.

As they say YMMV or should say YMWV.

ETA: If you can get that impeller off just let it soak in some warm soapy water for a bit, then using tongs fish it out and wipe it off. It's a messy job and you get to do it.

That new fan blade (big fins) looks like the one in my Quadrafire.

The other one (old one, low flow) looks like my Fahrenheit and my Englander blades.

I always wondered which one moved more air? The one that has more smaller fins? Or the larger fins with a fewer number?? Now we now.

Thank you. You answered a lot of questions I had...

Now send my Buddy (barnyard840x) a PM and tell him, to buy the d#mn thing. Tomorrow is payday for him.. What better time??

Glad its working out for ya. Been a long road since the mod I told you about when you 1st got the stove.. But having a Corn pot and Low CFM blower, you needed to.

Now a High CFM blower and a Cast iron burn pot! ! Your good to go my friend. ;-P Congratulations. You now own a Baby Countryside (the way they should have always been)!!!!

Yeah it's a shame to have to do this much extra when buying something new....but it was sold as such...new old stock. I still have far less in it than a new model year. Now I wonder if I could've done without the cast iron pot....although I'm sure it'll be well worth it. The little bugger burned corn great so I wonder if they were originally sold as corn burners...then pellets became more popular as corn prices went up....and the burn problems began....hence the change to the high output blower sometime in 2007.

jrsdws said:
Yeah it's a shame to have to do this much extra when buying something new....but it was sold as such...new old stock. I still have far less in it than a new model year. Now I wonder if I could've done without the cast iron pot....although I'm sure it'll be well worth it. The little bugger burned corn great so I wonder if they were originally sold as corn burners...then pellets became more popular as corn prices went up....and the burn problems began....hence the change to the high output blower sometime in 2007.

Sounds about right... I believe they were sold as a "Corn Stove" originally.

My buddies was New "Old stock" too... Took lots of time and gaskets (and a Mod or two) to get it to burn as good as it does now.

Still think he could benefit from the blower.... Is the blower a 2 speed? Do you notice a "step" in any of the heat levels? Without a change to the board, I dont know if its possible? May just be added RPM and larger fins, for more air movement.

Whats the difference in specs on the motors? As far as Amps, RPM's, Etc??

Yes it's a 2 speed blower....but you connect a different wire for low or high....no step with heat levels just full blast I think.

Old blower: 0.95 amps, 3000rpm, 75cfm

New blower: 0.5 - 1.3 amps, 3500rpm, 71 - 105cfm (I will double check tomorrow but I thought the Fasco sticker on the motor said 1.6 amps)

Status
Not open for further replies.