Exhaust.. Concerning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AccentraRRT

Burning Hunk
Mar 1, 2014
Massachusetts
So my wife pointed this out to me.. Surpassingly she noticed it and I hadn't seen it.
My Harman is installed in a finished, walkout basement, under an elevated deck and exhausted as shown in the below picture. It has now been used for two heating seasons.
One of the columns holding the deck is about 2 ft away but I never noticed the discoloration from exhaust until the wife pointed it out. It did seem to brush/wash off with a quick hand wipe, did not seem like charring.
Is this at all concerning?
Sorry for rotated pictures...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 290
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 282
That is the way the snow looked this winter out away from the vent. I wouldn't worry as long as it is the recommended distance from the vent (and the deck is elevated enough - I can't recall how much they recommend).

Three things your installation manual states that I see in the pictures

1- do not install the exhaust under an overhang
2- Must be 3 feet away from combustible materials
3- Must be 4 feet away from any door or window

You can down load from the Harman website

pg 20

Vents should not terminate under overhangs, decks or onto covered porches

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/P43_61A_68_I.pdf

Pg 15 states:
The clearance under a veranda, porch, deck or balcony must be a minimum of 12"

Clearance to vegetation and other exterior combustibles . . is 36" as measured from center of cap"

Three things your installation manual states that I see in the pictures

1- do not install the exhaust under an overhang
2- Must be 3 feet away from combustible materials
3- Must be 4 feet away from any door or window

You can down load from the Harman website

Didn't even see the door - if he has an OAK, it can be 12" (which includes the horizontal run".

However, I don't know what that other cover is for, so make sure to check to make sure the clearance is appropriate.

Sorry this was a bad cut and paste with no context. The paragraph I quoted was to avoid soot damage. Worth reading.
Ahh, you are correct. Sorry, I misinterpreted what you were trying to say.

Thanks for all the replies. The stove was installed by a certified/professional Harman installer. Was very strict as to where the exhaust was placed, so I am sure it was installed to a T as per the recommendations. It is with in 4ft of the sliding glass door but is on the "fixed" window side of the slider ( I just had the screen slid over since I exited out that door to take the picture).
I just must be within the recommended "soot damage" measurements which is what I am seeing.

Reactions: bogieb
Thanks for all the replies. The stove was installed by a certified/professional Harman installer. Was very strict as to where the exhaust was placed, so I am sure it was installed to a T as per the recommendations. It is with in 4ft of the sliding glass door but is on the "fixed" window side of the slider ( I just had the screen slid over since I exited out that door to take the picture).
I just must be within the recommended "soot damage" measurements which is what I am seeing.

:confused:

We had another installation thread with a professional installation that was all wrong; search and speak with Pellet Girl. The manual is there to give you minimum safety guidelines, they're not convenient sometimes, but you'll sleep better (and wake better) knowing it was done right. You took the time to ask, as you had concerns, and some folks here offered some good advice ( I've learned to trust them). So I might suggest showing the pictures to the Harman corporation and get their approval ( in writing for insurance purposes) before I would comfortably trust the "professional...to the T"..installation.

After that PT post gets good and dried out, and your vent pipe might be in need of a cleaning, the stove is running hot, and your vent becomes a flame thrower....what then?;)

Good luck!

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
Ambient has a good point, and if you are not regularly inspecting that area during burning season, if it was me, I would purchase some loose stove pipe, or aluminum flashing, to use as a shield on that post, 1 foot above -> 1 foot below the soot line, secure with some 1" spacers to the post to allow airflow.. Then you won't have to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.