Exhaust/Convection Fans Stop working during operation,AvalonAstoria

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracked Eggs

Jan 25, 2015
Connecticut
After starting up my Avalon Astoria PS the exhaust/convection fan stops working after about 30 minutes of operations. The Fire then goes out and the house fills with smoke as the blower motor continues. I have completely cleaned the PS including the exhaust box.

I cannot seem to figure out why this fan stops, it started happening all of a sudden after the yearly cleaning and has been happening ever since. I have replaced the door and glass gaskets, cleaned out the auger and both exhaust and blower fans. I have complete taken the PS apart to clean everything inside and out. I worked for about 2 week after that then the exhaust motor start acting up.

Need help before replacing parts?

After starting up my Avalon Astoria PS the exhaust/convection fan stops working after about 30 minutes of operations. The Fire then goes out and the house fills with smoke as the blower motor continues. I have completely cleaned the PS including the exhaust box.

I cannot seem to figure out why this fan stops, it started happening all of a sudden after the yearly cleaning and has been happening ever since. I have replaced the door and glass gaskets, cleaned out the auger and both exhaust and blower fans. I have complete taken the PS apart to clean everything inside and out. I worked for about 2 week after that then the exhaust motor start acting up.

Need help before replacing parts?
Could you have a sensor that shuts it down then opens up after things cool down?

Did you by chance when cleaning the stove motors get the windings cleaned too. The motors suck in dust bunnies and can get hot and the thermal overload switch can shut the motor down.
Another thing that can act up is the Proof of fire switch not being satisfied and thinking the stove did not light shuts down the stove. Would need stove schematics to see how this may apply to your stove. Hopefully some with this model of stove can chime in and help.
Welcome

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Mkioz6q1z7_qLniksoHmUzw&bvm=bv.84349003,d.eXY

This is the wiring schematic.

Everything I have read states that the exhaust/combustion motor should continue to run even if the system goes into shutdown.

I do get the Fault and # 4 (MED) Light Flash = System Snap Disk Fault (pellets run
out & stove goes cold) however I am not sure why the exhaust motor would stop on this...

Last edited by a moderator:
As Bioburner mentioned, have you hit the combustion motor windings with air? The blower motor itself is thermally protected and will shut down when overheated regardless of what the POF or control panel tells it... What year is the stove?

Unplug stove when working in there to avoid shorts and shocks... Have you checked electrical connections?

I have check the electrical connections, all is good. I do feel that the motor is extremely hot, way beyond touching it. When you say check the winding or blow them out are you referring to the copper winding in the motor itself?

Yes ... dust bunnies love to hide in there but they are motor killers.

I have check the electrical connections, all is good. I do feel that the motor is extremely hot, way beyond touching it. When you say check the winding or blow them out are you referring to the copper winding in the motor itself?
Yes, the copper motor windings of the motor. Now the age of the motor may need a couple drops of oil if it has oiling ports. Good luck

Thanks all I will try this and see if it works... I will post my finding...

I plan on removing the motor and completely cleaning it out... I know the exhaust housing is clean as well as the piping all the way to the flash as the chimney guy came out less then 3 weeks ago.

Thanks all I will try this and see if it works... I will post my finding...

I plan on removing the motor and completely cleaning it out... I know the exhaust housing is clean as well as the piping all the way to the flash as the chimney guy came out less then 3 weeks ago.

Don't be surprised if that cavity has crud in it, you wouldn't be the first to have a sweep clean a flue only to plug up things, which can lead to hot exhaust gases staying in the cavity to long and tripping the thermals on the blower.

I have owned and work on Astoria's. They can have connector problems so unplug and plug all the connectors. Also change any that do not seem right.

Okay I think we found the answer... I took the exhaust motor out of the unit and brought it to a local electric motor company, the cleaned the motor out for $5... The stove is functioning like it is bring new... Before I put it back in I verified that the exhaust piping all the way to the flash was clean and clear of debris.

I also checked all connection and the tube to the Vacuum Pump, all was well..

I set the speed to med and the air intake to 3 and the unit is purring right along... Thanks everyone that made suggestions...

It appears the biggest help was cleaning the motor as the motor shop stated it was all gummed up and ready to completely fail as some point. He stated a yearly cleaning is always good to do... I will certainly pay the $5 again...

He did stated never to oil the motor as suggested as it will gum up easier. He stated to use electric grease as it will not allow dust to cling to it.. Not sure what that stuff is so I will certainly always bring it back there for service. Same with the blower as he stated he can fix or clean that as well..

Good to hear. We like good feed back:)

Okay I think we found the answer...
It appears the biggest help was cleaning the motor as the motor shop stated it was all gummed up and ready to completely fail as some point. He stated a yearly cleaning is always good to do... I will certainly pay the $5 again...
He did stated never to oil the motor as suggested as it will gum up easier. He stated to use electric grease as it will not allow dust to cling to it.. Not sure what that stuff is so I will certainly always bring it back there for service. Same with the blower as he stated he can fix or clean that as well..

Good to hear ... now share, for the folks in Connecticut, who you took the motor to for $5==c

Status
Not open for further replies.