Exhaust fan to Venting Hook up?? Is it really that easy??? Pictures :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenstogie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2012
Albany (ish)
Any way take a look at the pics below and tell me (please) I am doing this correctly. :)

The back of my Englander 25 IPS. Top is the Air intake/outside air supply and i got that covered.The bottom is the exhaust venting and its a solid hunk of metal.

IMG_20131023_090133.jpg

The Clean out 90degree "T" Typical Duravent stuff.

IMG_20131023_090153.jpg

Here they are and they fit together very nicely so just some screws and hi temp red caulk, .... but is it really that easy??

IMG_20131023_090211.jpg

Check and see what Duravent says is supposed to be the first pieice of vent, it is likely to be a stove adapter which just might already be attached to that used Tee you have (I don't have Duravent).

You have to fasten the stove adapter using silicone sealant and three screws to the stove. Do not just use sealant without the screws and do not use the screws without the sealant, you must use both.

A bead of sealant is placed all around the stove end and the adapter is then placed on the stove end and fully seated onto the stove, this spreads the sealant and then the mechanical connection is made using the three screws. Then a drop of sealant is placed over the tops of the screws.

Yes, you are supposed to use an appliance adapter. Duravent does make a combination T/appliance adapter, which is what I have on order. I can't tell if what you have is that piece or just a normal T.
Duravent does also make a "quick connect" appliance adapter that uses a hose clamp for easy removal, but I had zero luck finding one.

Check and see what Duravent says is supposed to be the first pieice of vent, it is likely to be a stove adapter which just might already be attached to that used Tee you have (I don't have Duravent).

You have to fasten the stove adapter using silicone sealant and three screws to the stove. Do not just use sealant without the screws and do not use the screws without the sealant, you must use both.

A bead of sealant is placed all around the stove end and the adapter is then placed on the stove end and fully seated onto the stove, this spreads the sealant and then the mechanical connection is made using the three screws. Then a drop of sealant is placed over the tops of the screws.

I am tracking you with the Sealant AND screws.

They have one at my local lowes (Stove adaptor) that I will check out on my ride home from work.

You gave me a great idea.... check the specs in the duravent catalog. In looking at the Duravent Specs and they do make both "plain T's" and "Stove adaptor T's" as far as I can tell the difference is all of a 3/4" protusion of pipe and (possible) the quick connect indentations. I know it is important for safety (and follow to the letter) the requirements but would that 3/4" protusion really make that much of difference?

I also got to thinking (hey it happens) the venting that the used stove I bought came with (and subsquently also used) though worked may not have been correct.

Last edited:
I am tracking you with the Sealant AND screws.

They have one at my local lowes (Stove adaptor) that I will check out on my ride home from work.

You gave me a great idea.... check the specs in the duravent catalog. In looking at the Duravent Specs and they do make both "plain T's" and "Stove adaptor T's" as far as I can tell the difference is all of a 3/4" protusion of pipe and (possible) the quick connect indentations. I know it is important for safety (and follow to the letter) the requirements but would that 3/4" protusion really make that much of difference?

I also got to thinking (hey it happens) the venting that the used stove I bought came with (and subsquently also used) though worked may not have been correct.

I think that's really all a stove adapter is. Converts from the twistlock or whatever connection the vent has to a plain 3" tube. The protrusion also gives you something that you can screw down tightly and tape if needed.. Are you currently screwing through the outer wall of the vent?

I suppose sealed is sealed, so as long as you can get a leak free connection, it's not really going to matter.

I think that's really all a stove adapter is. Converts from the twistlock or whatever connection the vent has to a plain 3" tube. The protrusion also gives you something that you can screw down tightly and tape if needed.. Are you currently screwing through the outer wall of the vent?

I suppose sealed is sealed, so as long as you can get a leak free connection, it's not really going to matter.

I suppose sealed is sealed, so as long as you can get a leak free connection, it's not really going to matter

Yea that's what I was thinking too.

Are you currently screwing through the outer wall of the vent??

I sold my last pellet stove so I cant tell you how it was hooked up. The pic above does show screw holes on the outer wall of the vent but all joints were screwed together.

Maybe I sold it with the adapter still attached to the stove .....or maybe the T was hooked up straight to the the stove and I just followed suit.

Are you currently screwing through the outer wall of the vent??

I sold my last pellet stove so I cant tell you how it was hooked up. The pic above does show screw holes on the outer wall of the vent but all joints were screwed together.

Maybe I sold it with the adapter still attached to the stove .....or maybe the T was hooked up straight to the the stove and I just followed suit.

I meant on the new stove, is the T also screwed to that? The pic's a little blurry so I can't tell. I'm not sure how it all fits together without the adapter in there, is the inner tube of the vent inside or outside the stove outlet?

My concern there is that if the outer wall isn't a tight fit to the stove outlet, you'll have a bit of a gap. Bump the stove a little and instead of the screws keeping the pipe attached to the outlet, the outer wall will crush a little and let things wiggle and possibly leak.

I suppose sealed is sealed, so as long as you can get a leak free connection, it's not really going to matter

Yea that's what I was thinking too.

Here's the thing, the proper stove adapter is about $15. Is it worth saving $15 to have this concern on your mind? Is it worth it to give your insurance company something to note as "out of spec" if there's ever an issue?

OF course not. That's why I'd get the thing anyway. Like many things I do.... it would be just to C.M.A. ;)

So I looked at some pix that I uploaded before like a year ago and the length did seem to have more than the standard Tee connector and shot out to Lowes to pick one up. So obviously I am going to intall using the stove adapter ..... but after looking at it I highly doubt it matters all that much. Still using it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.