exhaust gas temps for excell 2200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryD

Oct 28, 2007
Central CT
Hello all,

I made the maden firing of our boiler on Friday night. I must say this is more satisfying then a woodstove.

Here is the issue. I would think that because the fan shut off after 15 minutes if the stack temps aren't beyond 250* that higher temps are desired. I have a probe thermometer about 6" away from the collar. Just beyond that is a barometric damper and then the clean out tee. There is 24' of 6" HT pipe with (2) 30* pieces to avoid the ridge beam. I have the secondary air closed all teh way and the "fan" is allowed to open all the way. I am loading the fire box about half way. The wood is excellent (2 year old split oak). The highest stack temps so far have certainly been when it is coller out (lower 40's).

What do I need to do differently? I hope this isn't a function of the 6" pipe!!!

I have gotten the storage tank to about 150*. It seems to be taking longer to gain on that.\

Any thoughts?

Hello Larry
My guess is your barometric draft damper is giving the temp probe a false reading of the actual tarm exhaust gas temp . Try to locate the probe as close to flue collar as possible before the damper .
Anthony

The thermo couple is just to the other side of the steel collar. The barometric damper is just beyond that. You do bring up a good point about the false read. The rub is I didn't leave too much room between the boiler and the class A pipe. I'll have to see if I can post a picture. My next issue is that the draft fan won't shut off even if the boiler temp is 180*

LarryD

Status
Not open for further replies.