exhaust gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

urkiddin

Dec 3, 2009
Southwest Vt.
I was giving my USSC 5510 a good clean out today.I noticed some soot around one of the bolts that hold the exhaust motor on.After taking the motor off i found the gasket was ripped.It's a pretty flimsy looking gasket kinda like thin fiberglass insulation.I was wondering if i could just make a new gasket out of RTV silicone or does anyone see a problem with using that.

I'd advise making a new gasket.

For more info see my post in this thread...

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/40054/#432191

I'm really happy with that gasket material. This year I just pulled it off, cleaned the stove, and put it right back. The gasket did not appear weakened in any way after an entire year of service. There have been no issues with noise or vibration.

I just talked to the stove company.They are sending me a new one but i'm not sure if i really want to use it.Like i said the first one was pretty flimsy.It looks like the stuff they make Santa Clause beards out of.

urkiddin said:
I just talked to the stove company.They are sending me a new one but i'm not sure if i really want to use it.Like i said the first one was pretty flimsy.It looks like the stuff they make Santa Clause beards out of.

Exactly what I had in my Quad from the factory... Gasket gets stuck to the fresh paint and you can't remove it without destroying it.

get half a dozen, and double them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.