Exhaust motor speed question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
I've got a Castile free standing stove seems to be working fine, but I had a question about aging exhaust motors. Other then the obvious not running at all, or screeching sounds as these motors age do then slow down. I'm in my 5th year of operation, and once the heating season is underway I'm running 24 hour a day 7 days week. Mine does turn freely and is quiet. Just curious.

Don't sweat it, buy a replacement and have it handy. Spares are good. They don't (as a rule) slow down unless the bearings are going bad or they are so loaded with ash they can't turn anymore....

I keep a couple drives on the shelf, just in case.

No point in being cold and I run mine 24 / 7 all winter too.

Some are more prone to wear and tear. Can't believe some are over twenty years old. The ones that one can give a drop or two of good oil seem to outlast the stove. But they don't make em that good anymore.

As has been said, some last longer then others. Mine is 9 years old. Any amount of ash or soot puts more load on them, and wears them out sooner. It does pay to clean them periodically. Spare parts are always good to have around. Only thing to remember is price is always going up on parts. kap

Some are more prone to wear and tear. Can't believe some are over twenty years old. The ones that one can give a drop or two of good oil seem to outlast the stove. But they don't make em that good anymore.

Thats a fiar statement and like Kap says, the price isn't going to go down..... only up.

One thing about motors is with a little home brew refitting skill, you can make an 'old dog' into a new puppy. I remember my very first pellet burner, an analog Dovetek. All the motors had brass oiler tubes attached and routed to a centralized location, like one shot greasing on construction equipment. When you cleaned it, a couple drops of oil and it was all good. Wish I still had it. All analog with toggle switches and rheostats.

Now we have electronic circuit boards and chips running the show and when it poops, it's expensive. I could replace everything at the local Radio Shack on the Dovetek.

Drives were the same basically as they are now, just better made.

Status
Not open for further replies.