exhaust odor in house operating on high output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mascoma

Feeling the Heat
Jul 23, 2008
Upper Valley NH
Installed a new harman p61a this fall and has been working great but when it runs on the higher output settings like last night when it was below 0 outside we get an exhaust odor in the room where stove is installed. There is no odor on lower settings. I can't tell where on the stove/venting its coming from, any ideas?
Thanks

Is the exhaust located near a window?

mascoma said:
Installed a new harman p61a this fall and has been working great but when it runs on the higher output settings like last night when it was below 0 outside we get an exhaust odor in the room where stove is installed. There is no odor on lower settings. I can't tell where on the stove/venting its coming from, any ideas?
Thanks

Need more info on where your stove is located in your house and what the exhaust consists of and diameter. Each piece in the system and the direction of the pipe really helps (i.e. horizontal or vertical). Did you seal each piece of pipe and what brand.

Eric

T at back of stove, up 3 ft to 90 degree into existing chimney that used to have a wood stove hooked up to it. Exhaust is 3 inch inside the house, chimney is 6 inch outside and 20 ft up, nothing is coming back inthe windows. Not sure of the brand vent but dealer said it contained it's own internal seals and required no silicon outside the pipe.

mascoma said:
T at back of stove, up 3 ft to 90 degree into existing chimney that used to have a wood stove hooked up to it. Exhaust is 3 inch inside the house, chimney is 6 inch outside and 20 ft up, nothing is coming back inthe windows. Not sure of the brand vent but dealer said it contained it's own internal seals and required no silicon outside the pipe.

If it is Dura Vent it needs and Appliance Adapter from the stove to the tee or you WILL have leaks. It does need silicone between all joints in the house. You also might need a full liner up the chimney if you smell smoke. I WOULD CALL YOU DEALER AND HAVE HIM COME OVER ASAP.

My input
Eric

THanks for the help.
I do have the adapter between the stove and T. Dealer advised to use foil tape between stove and adaptor instead of silicone. I will seal up all the joints in vent pipe and see if it helps. Chimney is metalbestos 6', this should be fine, no?

mascoma,

I recently found that I had a leak at the 'T' on my stove. I had sealed all the connection joints with silicon but still would get the smell of exhaust every now and then. I took the back off my stove and used a bright flashlight to check around. I was expecting that maybe I had a leak right at the stove collar. What I found was that the vent was leaking out the middle of the 'T' pipe. It was not leaking at any of the connections but at the factory joint of the 'T' which was sealed by the factory on the inside. Don't trust the factory seal. Place silicon around the outside of the 'T' at all three connections plus around the joints where the 'T' pieces fit into each other. If you still have a leak, I would seal all other connection of your vent pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.