Exhaust pipe angled slightly downward

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual says of course that it needs floor protection, but doesn't specify what kind.
That is why I was thinking I could purchase one of those regulation prefab ones that I have used before and I believe to be less than a 1/2 thick.
I think the stove could be installed with less than an inch decline from the back of the stove to the chimney.
Just wondering if this is less than ideal or an absolute "don't do it".
The likely result will be smoke spillage when the stove door is opened and perhaps balky starts. How tall will the liner be in the chimney?

I'm wondering if a short leg kit could be fitted to the stove? Maybe ask stovelark?

Well, there's a good chance I wouldn't be on here myself if I was!
Good to know!
If my wife ever runs away with a FireView owner I will be in touch! lol

Reactions: begreen
I don't know the exact number of feet yet, but 2 good size stories.
It's hard to see in the picture because the ivy is covering it but it rises above the peak.

Attachments

• house 3.jpg
    house 3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 81
That will need a stainless steel liner for sure but the 2 stories height will help draft once it gets pulling.

Still, smoke does not want to go downhill. The flue needs to work with natural convection thus the requirement to be slightly sloped uphill. Start a conversation with stovelark and see if he has a short leg option that will fit the firelight.

That's what I was thinking...the height will help.
And Be Green is more then likely right. I know it's going to cost you but safety first!
You could have someone with certification inspect what you have though and get their opinion.

Thanks, I will, a short leg kit would be the best option.
And yes, I will be having a professional install it.
Just be sure to bring up the liner question ahead of time to them.
Course they may want to sell you one just for the profit but it would not hurt and only help with draft,cleaning and safety.

I do know I need a ss liner. Is there a question I need to ask about it?
Good. I don't really know which ones are better then others . Some on here will know that answer if it matters at all. Stayed tuned!

It should be insulated for best safety and performance. There are several good brands, but most likely this will be up to the installer unless you and hubby are going to DIY.

I'm a single girl, going to have it professionally installed, and definitely safety first.
I just wish this this 1/2" wasn't messing up all of my plans.

If you go strictly 'by the book' - any downward angle is likely going to be a 'no'. Though in reality, the chimney it's going into will have a large effect on the overall performance. If you were going into a single story rise, any downward slope would likely be a show stopper. But you mention two large stories of height on the chimney. Given that height and assuming the proper insulated liner, some people actually have to install a damper to slow down the draft so the stove doesn't over fire.

If I had to do it, I would probably come out of the back of the stove with and adjustable elbow configured for ~3" downward offset, then angle the remainder of the pipe back upward again until it makes the bend to go up the flue. I don't think that small jog right off the back of the stove would have any significant effect and if it did, two stories of flue is going to pull like a vacuum cleaner anyway, so you may STILL have to install a damper.

I like your thinking! I may do just as you suggest and make adjustments along the way if necessary.
Optimistic! Somehow I'll make this beautiful stove work like a gem. :)

As it is there is a coal/wood stove in place that has been there for many many years (not sure how well it ran, just bought the house. 1852) and it is angled downward a good 3".

It'll be interesting to see what your pro installer says about the situation, and what his/her recommendation might be. I'd think short legs to be the simplest solution, but then, we haven't heard yet about the stove manufacturer's requirement for floor protection...it should be clearly specified in the owner/installation documentation. Rick

I'll keep you posted. I have someone coming by tomorrow. It's an older model, so the manual suggests durock which I know isn't sufficient.
There's a great large thick piece of stone in place now that I might set into the floor.

if you could set it into the floor that should work also. Get a pro or 2 out to look at it if they are any good they will give you a few options. And like begreen said it should be insulated. Also get that damn ivy off that chimney it will tear it to pieces as a chimney pro i cant stand to see that because i know how much work it takes to fix the damage.

As it is there is a coal/wood stove in place that has been there for many many years (not sure how well it ran, just bought the house. 1852) and it is angled downward a good 3".

Well in some stove the smoke as to go to the top of the stove then to the back of it then down a little ways to exit the stove.
So your situation probably would be fine with a little drop. That said we are not going to say that's ok. I'm sure you can understand that.
So cool that you're doing this and I wish you the best !

Status
Not open for further replies.