Exhaust pipe leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

escobarmj

Jul 27, 2008
RI
At the end of the season I was starting to get smoke leaking out of the exhaust pipes behind the stove. The leak looks like it is comming out of the cleanout at the base of a T. It looks like the smoke is comming out the bottom, and not at a joint. I am thinking that the cleanout needs to be replaced. The problem is that I can't get it off. I think the installer used sealant on the joint. Is there a trick to getting the sealant to release other than brute force. It is a twist connection. If I cant get it off, should I fill the groove on the bottom with high temp sealant?

I never had the leak but I did have to take a large pair of channel lock pliers to it so I could take it off so I could clean it. I will have to check tonight, I think I put a new one on because we bent the old one. The installer actually came over and he could not get it off until we put the channel locks on. I will put up some pictures tonight.

Zap

The cap at the bottom of the T may have to come off so you can the empty ash build up (it that's the source of the smoke). I had a similar problem, I think, and got a lot of helpful suggestions. Here's the link to the thread "silicone in the wrong places".

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/38892/

It all cleaned out now. We'll find out what happens a couple of tons into the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.