Exhaust Smell - St. Croix Prescott

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poleyo

Jan 29, 2015
Valatie NY
I've noticed an unpleasant exhaust smell venting outside when the pellet stove is on all this season. And now I've started to notice it in the house too. I've cleaned it as thoroughly as I know how several times. Also the flame seems to get lazy within a day and I keep increasing the cleaning but no improvement. I put extra sealant around the joints of the interior exhaust to no avail. The damper seems to be all the way open. I replaced the combustion motor a month ago because it stopped working. Could be imperfect install, but I had smelled the outside exhaust prior to replacement. I'm at the end of my knowledge and research and probably will call repair soon (I have CO2 monitor right next to it and it registers nothing) but thought I'd turn to this forum. Worryingly I can't find ANYTHING on pellet stoves giving off an exhausty smell. Any ideas?

Sounds like the stove is in need of a very good cleaning to get the pesky rear passages cleared so the stove can breath properly. St.Croix models are known to be a bit harder to clean. Others will probably chime in to help with your stove model.
Welcome.

If you have the damper wide open, there is most likely blockage in the passages behind the ash doors - between them (there is a good size passage back there that should be open). One of the real St. Croix guru's will probably come along shortly with questions, suggestions or answers.

My Hastings has 3 ash cleanouts. 1 just below and behind the burn pot on either side and a 3rd behind the ash pan. There is a space behind the burn pot in between the 2 upper clean outs that can trap alot of ash.

You might want to check the sealing around the thimble on the out side of the house. Sealant needs to be around where the vent exits the thimble and around the outside of the thimble where the thimble plate is attached to the house.

It isn't unknown for the area under the thimble plate to have gotten missed.

Also if you are using an OAK you must make certain that it is firmly attached to the air intake of the stove inside the house and sealed around where it exits the house just like the thimble.

Last edited:
Both the passage between the upper cleanouts and the area inside the top of the lower cleanout (both behind the burn pot) were full of ash. Its cleaned out now and running well. Hopefully solves the problem! There sure are a lot of nooks and crannies in this machine. I've been unable to clean out a cache of ash in front of the burn pot (why is that area practically sealed off?) but hopefully it's less important. Thanks to all.

Both the passage between the upper cleanouts and the area inside the top of the lower cleanout (both behind the burn pot) were full of ash. Its cleaned out now and running well. Hopefully solves the problem! There sure are a lot of nooks and crannies in this machine. I've been unable to clean out a cache of ash in front of the burn pot (why is that area practically sealed off?) but hopefully it's less important. Thanks to all.

Would you be so kind as to snap a picture of the area you are having trouble with as I don't know of any real issues other than those behind the fire box wall. Maybe someone else is. Thank you.

I've been unable to clean out a cache of ash in front of the burn pot (why is that area practically sealed off?) but hopefully it's less important. Thanks to all.

That is a tough spot to clean, but if you don't, it will eventually form a solid cake and keep the clean-out rod from sliding. My Hastings was caked up when I bought it last fall and it took a lot of patience with a small screwdriver to get most of it broken up to the point that I could vacuum it out. You can clean it out mostly with a small crevice tool from a regular vac (you learn to become a contortionist). Plus, make up a small suction hose out of plumbing supplies to help clean out in front of the burn pot and behind the ash clean outs.

Reactions: Poleyo
Status
Not open for further replies.