Exhausto fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
Do the fans that increase draft such as the Exhausto fans really work? The height of my chimney is only about 12 feet and since my hearth is raised, the distance from a stove's rear exhaust to the top of the chimney is about 9 feet. What is the best way to incease draft? A chimney pot (would have to be quite large though), a fan like the exhausto fan that sits on top of the chimney, or a some sort of in-line fan?

And as far as the liner, I already plan on insulating the liner or getting some of the rigid liner with the factory installed insulation...

As usual, I really appreciate everyone's help.

I don't know. I just saw that fan for the top of the chimney yesterday when I did my "Click to pay for Craig's retirement" duty. But I have to say that there has to be a better way than paying twenty one hundred bucks for one of those things and running an electric service up to the top of the chimney.

Yeah an electrical line to a chimney that is a lighting magnet? Talk to that extenda flue guy
he might still have a few laying around.

Calling Extenda Flue guy to the front desk there is a forum member in need of advice

rmcfall,
Did you buy your Fireview yet? I was worried about my draft when I bought mine and it turned out to draft better than the old non cat stove, even with an extra 90 bend. Give her a try just the way it is now, and if the draft doesn't take, I would try extending the chimney. Woodstock recomends a minimum of 14' above the flue collar of the stove.

I haven't got my Fireview yet. Unfortunately, my chimney only extends 9 feet above the flue collar of the Fireview. I did learn today, however, that my insurance company will pay for bricks to be stained to match the color of the existing brick on my chimney. Assuming the staining company can get a good match, it looks like I will be able to regain the height I lost from the lightning strike. I'd never heard of staining brick before, but the company says they have been doing it for 20 years with great results. I am sending them some brick so they can perform a sample... hope it works...

Todd said:
rmcfall,
Did you buy your Fireview yet? I was worried about my draft when I bought mine and it turned out to draft better than the old non cat stove, even with an extra 90 bend. Give her a try just the way it is now, and if the draft doesn't take, I would try extending the chimney. Woodstock recomends a minimum of 14' above the flue collar of the stove.

I forgot all about your lightning strike. After your insurance fixes the chimney will you have the required height? There is probably a little fudge in that 14' minimum Woodstock chimney height. It's probably what they tested the stoves at. I have a 23' chimney with 3-90 degree elbows. If you subtract 5' for every 90 degree elbow, that makes my chimney 8'. My draft is great! Good luck.

8 feet!?! Hmm...maybe I should keep the money from the insurance instead of having my chimney built back up...

rmcfall said:
8 feet!?! Hmm...maybe I should keep the money from the insurance instead of having my chimney built back up...

Can you do that? How long do you have to wait to spend the insurance money? I would hook up the stove to the exsisting chimney and see how she burns. If draft is poor then build up the chimney, if not maybe you can put that money toward your stove?

I was just kidding, but one could keep the money and do as they please. In my case, I got an estimate for the work and the estimate was submitted to the insurance company. The insurance company then cut me a check... However, if the cost of the job happens to go over the amount estimated, the contractor will get the difference directly from the insurance company (in this case the contractor has an ongoing contract with the insurance company, and was actually recommended by them).

Since my chimney sits on an exterior wall I think I need to do everything I can to increase the draft. Thus, I think I will probably be better off getting the chimney back to the appropriate height. Plus, if the chimney were to turn out not to be tall enough, I'd hate not to be able to operate my new stove this winter!

rmcfall said:
Do the fans that increase draft such as the Exhausto fans really work? The height of my chimney is only about 12 feet and since my hearth is raised, the distance from a stove's rear exhaust to the top of the chimney is about 9 feet. What is the best way to incease draft? A chimney pot (would have to be quite large though), a fan like the exhausto fan that sits on top of the chimney, or a some sort of in-line fan?

And as far as the liner, I already plan on insulating the liner or getting some of the rigid liner with the factory installed insulation...

They work like a dream - I used one for a coal boiler that I could not get to work even with 24 foot chimney. They are expensive because every part of them is designed to last almost forever even with the corrosive elements coming out the chimney.

Do they make much noise? I suppose it probably isn't more than an ordinary vent?

Are they typically placed inside a chimney pot?

Webmaster said:
rmcfall said:

They work like a dream - I used one for a coal boiler that I could not get to work even with 24 foot chimney. They are expensive because every part of them is designed to last almost forever even with the corrosive elements coming out the chimney.

Also, given my chimney meets the clearance requirements with regard to the roof, would you recommend an exhausto fan or rebuilding the chimney back to an appropriate height? Of course the exhausto fan costs less, but aside from that what is your opinion?

Webmaster said:
rmcfall said:

Get the chimney built to height. I would not want to have an electrical cord up there. Lightining can hit twice
If that charge follows the electrical cord into your electrical wiring rebuilding the chimney will look cheap.
Power goes out then what? No heat because no elecricity to run your exhaust fan?

very good point. Thanks.

elkimmeg said:
Get the chimney built to height. I would not want to have an electrical cord up there. Lightining can hit twice
If that charge follows the electrical cord into your electrical wiring rebuilding the chimney will look cheap.
Power goes out then what? No heat because no elecricity to run your exhaust fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.