existing brick chimney installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

w127st

Nov 3, 2014
new york city
I have a 4 story 100 year old townhouse. Last winter I hired a fireplace company to put a wood stove in the basement. There used to be an oil burner venting into the brick flu, which ended about 4 years ago. The chimney has about 25' of 8" stainless steel all-fuel pipe extending it after it ends about 8' above the roof line - left over from the oil boiler days.
They inspected the chimney, said all looked good, and installed a lenox grandview 230. So far everything is great, and I have very good draft. There is no liner in the the flu - just the original brick.
They had a cursory look at the chimney on the first floor and said it looked to be in similar good shape to the basement chimney.
I want to install an englander 17-VL on the first floor, and I want to do it myself (having been completely ***** by the fireplace company). I'm a reasonably good mason and have done a fair bit of the roof chimney work.
I've been reading a lot of info online, some of which says you NEED to line a masonry chimney if installing a new wood burning device. other sources don't say it's necessary but preferred.
WHY?
The stove in the basement is working wonderfully - why shouldn't the 1st floor follow suit?
Is there any reason I can't knock some bricks out of the 4' wide floor-to-ceiling fireplace and put the stove pipe through, venting it into the old brick chimney?
Is there any reason I need to come up out of the stove a certain amount before making the turn into the fireplace? Given the choice I would come out with a 12" pipe, turn and go straight into the chimney.
Is a 45 degree turn better than a 90?
Do I need to extend the chimney up top? As of now it comes about a foot above the roof line.
If so, how high above the roof line does the forum recommend? There is a building next to us on the chimney side that is about 20' taller.
And finally, if I do put the stove pipe into the old chimney above the stove, should I seal the the original lower opening of the chimney?

You need an insulated liner for saftey code and performance reasons. And any stove shop that would install a stove into an unlined 100 yr old brick chimney should be shut down it violates many codes and it is just plain irresponsible.

thankyou bholler.
I'll plan on lining the chimney if I put another stove online, and have the existing in-use chimney inspected by a better sweep.
meanwhile if you have any opinions on these other questions I would love to hear them.
thanks.

Is a 45 degree turn better than a 90?
Do I need to extend the chimney up top? As of now it comes about a foot above the roof line.
If so, how high above the roof line does the forum recommend? There is a building next to us on the chimney side that is about 20' taller.
And finally, if I do put the stove pipe into the old chimney above the stove, should I seal the the original lower opening of the chimney?

You need the chimney with the stove in it now lined to. and you cant put both stoves on the same liner. As far as height goes you need to be 3 feet above the roof where the chimney exits the roof and 2 feet above anything with in 10 feet.

I wont even give you advice on this setup just dont do it you need a liner period

You need the chimney with the stove in it now lined to. and you cant put both stoves on the same liner. As far as height goes you need to be 3 feet above the roof where the chimney exits the roof and 2 feet above anything with in 10 feet.

I wont even give you advice on this setup just dont do it you need a liner period
understood. I will line the chimney, but because of the design of the stove, the stove pipe will enter the wall above the old fireplace opening. with the chimney lined, is it necessary to seal the old opening at the bottom? thanks.

no not really but you will want to just to keep heated air from escaping up that hole. And the bottom of the liner needs to be sealed so the only air that gets in is the air going through the stove

Status
Not open for further replies.