Existing grates & a gas log

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kirbster

Nov 18, 2010
NW AR
My existing fireplace has metal grates welded into the bottom of the firebox for the logs to sit on, to let air get underneath them. Do I need to have these cut out before I install a gas log, or can it just sit on top of them if it all fits well?

Most likley you'll need to remove them. Gas logs come with their own burners and grates which are designed to work with each other. You may get lucky though. Hard to tell until you get the log set and start tinkering. I'm assuming your not buying this log set from a fireplace dealer and having them do a safe proffesional installation?

Well, yes & no. I'll probably buy the log myself, but with advice from several sources. I've worked with thelocal Weatherization Assistance Program for 17 years, so combustion appliances and fireplaces are not totally foreign to me. I'm planning to try to do as much of the grunt labor myself to save on costs. When it comes down to installing, I have a friend who builds, cleans, and generally services fireplaces professionally. Aside from asking his advice thru the whole thing, I plan on having him actually do the connections, to stay legal, and make sure I'm up to code. I just thought since I had found this forum, why not glean as much knowledge as I can from here, maybe I won't look like quite as big a dummy when I go to him for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.