Existing hearth troubles :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devingodard

Dec 10, 2015
Ontario canada
first off hi from Ontario!!

Just bought a house with an existing wood stove, an old dutchwest that we are replacing (had a tiny veiwing window wasn't maintained). Our first pick was a drolet pyropak which all the clearances work for. Then lowes flyer came out today with a great deal on the pleasant hearth 1800 for only 50$ more then the little pyropak. My current issue is now that the hearth is only 1/2 Durock, 1/2 or mortar, and 1" of credit valley flagstone. R value of 1 if I'm lucky. And the pleasant hearth requires r value of 2. So my question is.... Is there a way to lower the required r value for the heart? Heat shield on bottom of stove? Any option other the tearing it up and redoing it (just moved in it's crazy enough as it is)

Tear up the old hearth abs replace it with a properly rated prefab one. That's what we did at my house.

Can toy past some pictures? That works help the peele l people on here give some advice.

I can post some pictures tomorow. If it comes down to I have to tear it out I will rather just buy the other stove. Just trying to find a way to put the bigger stove in.

The hearth appears to be newly built I tore the front facing off to see wat was under it to calculate my current r value). And it does look nice.

Here's the hearth as it is no. 1/2 Durock 1/2 masonry to lay the stone in and 1-11/2 inch of stone.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 71
I am not aware of any acceptable method to reduce the R requirements of the hearth. It is not like using shielding for walls, etc.
There are plenty of other "Ember protection" only stoves on the market to consider. If I may make a suggestions... If I was spending good bucks on a long term purchase, I would make darn sure I wasn't shorting myself. If you think you need/want a bigger stove now - you probably do. Figure out how to make that happen.

I don't really think it's necessary the whole house is only 1100 sqr feet, I have always done things over kill though. I contacted manufacture to see if there was maybe a bottom heat shield for the stove to no avail. But it's ok the pyropak should work just fine.

Thanks for the help and if anyone else knows of anything I wouldn't mind knowing for future reference

You do realize that even their own advertisements rate the stove for a max burn time of 3-5 hours? With a MAX heating area of 1000 sqft? This is "best case" numbers. Nothing wrong with those numbers if that is what you are looking for. I would consider it a short term heat supply for an area heater.

Note: the math proves out a firebox size of 1.2 cuft. That is a pretty tiny stove.

I've seen the stove in person and ya lol it's pretty small. It's not the main source of heat we have a gas furnace. It's just there so when I'm home I can lower the gas bill by some

You ever look at the englander Madison? It might be a more properly sized stove for not much more money. There are other Drolet models that are in the same size area of the Madison.

I'm guessing they are under the name timber ridge up here? When I look up englandar dealers it always comes up with timber ridge.

If they are the same then it's almost double the price I got the pyropak for. Although it is bigger and looks a little nicer to me anyway. If it were a main source of heat or needed heat I would be looking for a bigger stove (tearing this hearth out). But since it's just more of a convenience thing it will be ok :). And if not we'll then the cottage is getting a wood stove :)

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.