Exloring options for a too small detached garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laxin213

Burning Hunk
Sep 18, 2014
Buffalo NY
like many things when buying a pre-exisitng home, the detached pole barn style garage that came with our house was an oddity. It has 2 overhead doors and is 18'x20'. The doors are small (I need to measure) but my wife's jeep compass BARELY fits in the opening. The other side is slightly smaller, the prior owners put a mini cooper in it. I don't even try to fit my truck in there. Which stinks because I live in Buffalo, and a gargae keeps your vehicle from being buried in snow every night in the winter and scraping off ice...

The house has 7 acres and is a wooded setting. There is no shed so you can easily see where this is going. We are out of room! Figuring a leaf blower, 4 bikes (2 mountain, 2 road), chainsaws, tools, etc, etc. This isn't counting my ATV, 2 snowmobiles (that are kept in a family members barn) and potentially some room to grow for things like a small camper or a boat. No way.

So as I see it I have 3 options:

1. Sell the place, trying to avoid that.

2. Add on to the garage.
As I said it is pole barn style with just painted cedar siding nailed to purlins. maybe add a few bays? The overhead door opening are super narrow and if I wanted to get my truck in there ( and keep from my wife's umm scrapings of the sides - I'd like 1 large overhead instead of 2 narrow ones). So I'm looking at re-engineering the header and buying a bigger (more expensive) overhead door.And adding on to the sides

3. Here's the green room part:
Turn the existing pole garage into a greenhouse. And build a separate proper barn/garage to my specs. I could just take off the siding on the current garage and purlins and maybe add a clear purlin type and sheets of clear plastic material? My wife is a vegetarian so we could certainly grow and eat a lot of veggies. I would want the roof to handle snow load, etc, maybe add some lighting, a circulation fan and water system on timers? I've always thought aquaponics are amazing, I'd love to get into that in the future, just work on the greenhouse for now and then integrate a fish and circulation system...

So my question - If I had a pole barn "skeleton" are there a la carte greenhouse siding options out there or could I luck into a "kit" that would have a lot of the materials I'd need in one shot?

Anyone have experience with specific greenhouse building materials (the clear plexiglass like siding stuff)?

Attachments

• Garage.jpg
    Garage.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 170
You can usually get sliding door panels cheap or free, especially if you willing to use cloudy ones. Horizontal framing members could be installed to the garage poles and then the door panels to those.
Check out builditsolar.com. Gary has a lot of good stuff there. You might want to check our low mass sunspaces there as the glazing requirements are similar. I'm pretty sure glazing materials, in general, are covered there.
The garage roof mods may be the trickier part. I"m not sure its needed as is don't know/recall how the building is oriented with respect to the sun.

I don't have any input on the greenhouse ideas but.....

If I were in your shoes I would use the existing space for lawn & garden, bikes, atv, etc and build a suitable larger garage for the vehicles.

My place has a 22 wide x 28 deep garage. After 18 yrs the crap really collects. We've outgrown it long ago.

Reactions: ironpony
I don't have any input on the greenhouse ideas but.....

If I were in your shoes I would use the existing space for lawn & garden, bikes, atv, etc and build a suitable larger garage for the vehicles.

My place has a 22 wide x 28 deep garage. After 18 yrs the crap really collects. We've outgrown it long ago.

I would tend to agree with this thought process. Maybe half greenhouse, half storage and build a new one. I would go stick frame to be able to insulate and finish inside easier.

Reactions: laxin213
Thanks for the replies everyone. We have other priorities at the moment but in the next couple of years we will tackle it and I'll be doing some research and thinking more
So thank you to all those who replied

Buy/build a carport. Keep the garage for toys/workshop. You will be happier having that workshop space.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
Status
Not open for further replies.