Expansion Tank Above Air Scoop??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strmh

May 24, 2008
Northern Maine
Working on my EKO 60 install....

Due to space limitations, I would like to locate my expansion tank (Amtrol stand model) on a shelf above the Taco air scoop.

Any problem with coming out the bottom of the air scoop, then piping up to base of the Expansion Tank???

I have seen it done you can always check Amtrols web site for confirmation. a stand model is piped from the bottom and it comes out of the bottom of scoop and thats the way you want to install it. A stand mounted tank is large couldn't you have used a #60?.

I probably could have gone with a smaller ET, but with the future storage plus overall system volume, the larger one seemed to be the way to go.

The PEX line is an easy insurance detail. I'm thinking of a similar setup in my system. I grew up in So. California (several decades ago ) with earthquake codes to deal with. Water heaters have to be strapped to wall framing so they don't go over in a shakeup. It just looks like a better installation to me not to trust entirely on gravity to hold things in place that would be dangerous to have fall over.

do try and keep it mounted with the connection up. I use a 1/2" FIP X pex ell to connect to remote mount tanks.

Check the pre-charge pressure before you install it and adjust to your fill pressure. The factory pre-charge pressures vary widely.

hr

Thanks for the ideas.....I'll be sure to securely mount the tank and shelf.

This cold snap makes me wish I was heading out to load the boiler....not install it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.