Expansion tank question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver_Is_Money

Feb 13, 2011
N/E Ohio
If my system requires a total volume of expansion of about 8 gallons, and an acceptance factor of just under 3 gallons, and the Extrol #30 is rated at 4.4 gallons of total volume and an acceptance factor of 2.5 gallons, would using 2 of the #30's suffice to give me 8.8 gallons of total volume and 5 gallons of acceptance factor? I.E., do you simply sum their individual volumes?

What is the best way to mount 2 expansion tanks. Would each require its own air scoop and air vent, or can two of them somehow share one common air scoop and air vent (perhaps via hanging each off of legs of a Tee placed below the air scoop), or can one just be placed in line (in series) with the other, with only one of them having the air scoop and air vent above it?

PS: I find it surprising (as well as confusing) that (per Amtrol literature) the Extrol #60 has the exact same 2.5 gal acceptance factor as does the #30.

Amtrol directly answered all of my questions today. What I need is two of their #30's. The #60 is basically a #30, sans for taller (3 story I assume) houses, and their literature is correct on it having the very same acceptance volume as a #30. The overall volumes and acceptance volumes of bladder type expansion tanks are directly additive when more than one is being used. The two #30's can be done in series, or both can be Tee'd under a single air scoop and air vent. Only one of them actually needs to be tied to the air scoop and air vent.

How many gallons of water are in your system? Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.