Expensive Lesson

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
The ash had built up a little too much in the insert and when I tried adding a split, some small coals fell out.
A couple of them went out to the wood floor, and I quickly moved them back to the hearth.
A little while later, we both smell something, and I assure the wife it's just those little coals.
Yeah, it was those coals all right, along with burning wool from the Persian rug.
I didn't see the ember that landed on the rug, and it has an obvious deep burn it it the diameter of a cigarette.
Now I have to find someone to repair the rug.
Arggghh.

velvetfoot said:
The ash had built up a little too much in the insert and when I tried adding a split, some small coals fell out.
A couple of them went out to the wood floor, and I quickly moved them back to the hearth.
A little while later, we both smell something, and I assure the wife it's just those little coals.
Yeah, it was those coals all right, along with burning wool from the Persian rug.
I didn't see the ember that landed on the rug, and it has an obvious deep burn it it the diameter of a cigarette.
Now I have to find someone to repair the rug.
Arggghh.

Could have been a much more expensive lesson...like burning the house down. Glad everyone is alright.

[quote author="joecool85" date="1291836444"Could have been a much more expensive lesson...like burning the house down. Glad everyone is alright.[/quote]

+1 to that. If you think about it, it is a rather inexpensive lesson. Just take it as a lesson learned. Burn Safe, Burn On, Burn Free

Velvetfoot I'm glad it was not worse. But I'm happy you posted this and it very well may serve as a good wakeup call for others. Please all be careful out there.

any experienced users have tips for us new guys on how to help prevent coals from escaping the hearth?
they slide lick hockey pucks some times!
i was thinking of putting up a barrier around the perimeter of the hearth when i rake the coals.
i already burned my carpet in 2 places since getting the stove, but im lucky as it was going to get replaced anyways in a year or so.
im thinking a 2X4 that i can put between the hearth and the carpet to stop any pieces of coals hat get away

I have a two foot or more stone hearth and my firebox is deep - so this is never an issue. We have wood floors and a cheap rug infront for the dog to lay on - nothing fancy.

Maybe a hearth pad infront of the stove ?

That was my first though, too: a hearth pad. I have never had one, do they work well? If so, the OP could get one and, if he or she did not like it being there, just roll it out for ash removal and then store it away til next time, like one does with the ash shovel. It would be cheaper than repairing a nice carpet.

And, I can say from experience, if this happened once, even though you will be much more careful in the future, it will happen again. Trust me on this. It might take a while, but it will happen. I have a fireplace screen that covers the entire opening except for a very small area at the top. One time, a coal popped and shot out right through that little space and onto the floor next to one of the dogs. The space was barely wider than the coal, but coals were popping by the dozens and one came through. That was once in a decade, but it happened.

One advantage of a large hearth . . . having a little more breathing room when it comes to those errant sparks and coals.

Velvetfoot . . . glad to hear things sort of, kind of worked out OK . . . well I mean . . . better than what could have happened.

Doesn't help OP but anyone planning their hearth should take note - this is the argument for larger than minimum hearth, especially in front or wherever your loading door is.

To OP - some pictures of your setup might help get the suggestions flowing here. The best solution likely is going to be unique to your install given that whatever happens is likely to be an add-on. Other than that, don't rake coals? ha.

These are not big coals flying around-just a small one I didn't notice.
I don't think the house was going to burn down.
I still don't have an estimate, but I have the feeling it's not going to be inexpensive - it'd have to be matched and knotted like the original I guess.

velvetfoot said:
These are not big coals flying around-just a small one I didn't notice.
I don't think the house was going to burn down.
I still don't have an estimate, but I have the feeling it's not going to be inexpensive - it'd have to be matched and knotted like the original I guess.

Biggest lesson may be don't put an expensive rug so close to the stove.

basswidow said:
Maybe a hearth pad infront of the stove ?

+1 And also, I saw fiberglass hearth rugs on some wood-related online store. It looks like a regular rug, but won't burn. No better than a hearth pad, but would stop the coals from rolling, and not burn. Anyone have a source?

I saw a small "hearth extension" that someone had in their home. What concerns me is that there is a crack between the extension and the edge of the hearth that I could easily see a small coal falling into. Is there a recommended way of "sealing" this space? I can see this being an even bigger issue when the existing hearth has a natural stone edge and the extension flat on the edge.

Thoughts?

I have a small hearth and have been concerned re small embers/ash/etc. Last year I went to Northern Tools and bought a "welding blanket" that is about four by six. When I load the stove or clean out the ash, I lay the "blanket" down and then fold it up when done. I have saved our rug a few times.

Saw another thread like this, and thought I'd update.
Sent the rug out and got it fixed. I think it was about 250 or so.
Now have a throw rug in front.

Status
Not open for further replies.