Expensive wood. Can you beat this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Topic came up recently on small wood bundles. Local supermarket has 3/4 cuic foot bundles for $3.97 a bundle. and tiny bundles of kindling for 1.97.

That comes out to $677 a cord for the hardwood. Now of course this is a yuppy comfort item not a home heating item but I have to admire the marketing. throw a little surran wrap around the wood and sell it to folks when they pick up dinner. I bet they sell a boat load of it too.

Got bored and went to the last few pages of this forum and found this post. With the really cold weather in our area and rolling power outages, I saw people on the news loading up grocery carts full of these small bundles of wood to take back home with them and try to stay warm. Really makes me appreciate where I live and the set up I have.

WOW. At those prices I have about 4 grand worth in my backyard & another 6 stored at parents acreage 1 hr west of me.

I've always heard wood in the small bundles can be = to around 700.00 a cord. And you would need several bundles to even have a fire for a couple hrs. Yep marketing at its best.

You are paying for convienience.
Just like paying $6 for a beer @ the Moose game, when you could go to the vendor at the nearest hotel, and buy a 24 for $40

A thread from 2005! Yikes! I thought I was bad for ressurecting OLD threads!
:lol:

Just like paying $6 for a beer @ the Moose game

Moose Game?? Is that White North speak for hockey?

Just saw 3/4 cubic ft bundles at HD marked down to $4.97 packaged by an outfit in Northern Maine. I sell bundles of this size all summer out of my driveway to the campers that go by. I charge $3.00 a bundle and 3 bundles for $8.00. Total honor system and didn't get beat once even got extra money on occasion. People said they would be back next year.

I figure @ $3 I am doing all right and don't have any competition other than the convenience stores that sell the same size bundles for 2 @ for $11.99. Their piles stay large all summer as most people stop at my place. Beats trying to sell for the home heating folks.

Will

The difference in the HD stuff is it probably needs to be kiln dried to control pests, which raises the production costs quite a bit.

Shawn

4 Splits bundled at the market yesterday were $4.49. They'll prolly get you for the tax too.

The sad part is the Guy doing the work probably only gets half the store price. So about 350 a cord. subtract shrink wrap, handle, and packaging time. Still good money but probably not getting rich.

This last storm they sold out a few times..People bought it as a back up plan....

Just got back from a supermarket in NH. $5.99 for 5 splits bundled. They had a whole bunch left, I wonder why... :smirk:

As of last year it is no longer legal to import firewood into Maine. The state set up firewood trading centers for people to trade in their "foreign wood" for Maine wood.
Mostly aimed at the camp trade as those people come from all over and bring their own wood from home. Most don't realize that woodland pests can hitch rides which hastens their spread way beyond the old fashioned way.

This spread can be a huge problem for uninfected areas.

Will

Kiln dried firewood locally is really expensive

Dealer close to me is selling green csd for $210.00. Kiln dried for $310.00 csd. Cord price. Got a couple of log length quotes @ $100 a cord for 8 cord load.Made an order with one guy and on the wait list with the other. The snow depth has slowed em all down. Out of curiosity I called the kiln dried ad and was told they sell plenty of KD.
I guess with oil well over $3 a gal it might be worth it for some.
Will

The Iowa DNR did the same thing here too at campgrounds & state parks.Worried about the devasting effects of Emerald Ash Borer,as of October 2010,its only been found in Allamakee County,in the extreme NE corner of the state.So far its still OK to move wood from county to county,but quarantine wont be far behind if things get worse.

Willman said:
As of last year it is no longer legal to import firewood into Maine. The state set up firewood trading centers for people to trade in their "foreign wood" for Maine wood.
Mostly aimed at the camp trade as those people come from all over and bring their own wood from home. Most don't realize that woodland pests can hitch rides which hastens their spread way beyond the old fashioned way.

This spread can be a huge problem for uninfected areas.

Will

I thought that Law been in effect everywhere for yrs : If not just commom .00$

Status
Not open for further replies.