1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Expensive wood. Can you beat this?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by DavidV, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    Topic came up recently on small wood bundles. Local supermarket has 3/4 cuic foot bundles for $3.97 a bundle. and tiny bundles of kindling for 1.97.

That comes out to $677 a cord for the hardwood. Now of course this is a yuppy comfort item not a home heating item but I have to admire the marketing. throw a little surran wrap around the wood and sell it to folks when they pick up dinner. I bet they sell a boat load of it too.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. sixman

sixman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Texas
    Got bored and went to the last few pages of this forum and found this post. With the really cold weather in our area and rolling power outages, I saw people on the news loading up grocery carts full of these small bundles of wood to take back home with them and try to stay warm. Really makes me appreciate where I live and the set up I have.
  3. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    WOW. At those prices I have about 4 grand worth in my backyard & another 6 stored at parents acreage 1 hr west of me.
  4. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    I've always heard wood in the small bundles can be = to around 700.00 a cord. And you would need several bundles to even have a fire for a couple hrs. Yep marketing at its best.
  5. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Loc:
    The coldest major city in Canada
    You are paying for convienience.
    Just like paying $6 for a beer @ the Moose game, when you could go to the vendor at the nearest hotel, and buy a 24 for $40

A thread from 2005! Yikes! I thought I was bad for ressurecting OLD threads!
    :lol:
  6. DonNC

DonNC Member

Loc:
    Fayetteville, NC
    prolly comes in handy for people who let their wood get snowed under...or rained on. Hold them over for a day
  7. wood-fan-atic

wood-fan-atic New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Just like paying $6 for a beer @ the Moose game

Moose Game?? Is that White North speak for hockey?
  8. Willman

Willman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sabattus Maine
    Just saw 3/4 cubic ft bundles at HD marked down to $4.97 packaged by an outfit in Northern Maine. I sell bundles of this size all summer out of my driveway to the campers that go by. I charge $3.00 a bundle and 3 bundles for $8.00. Total honor system and didn't get beat once even got extra money on occasion. People said they would be back next year.

I figure @ $3 I am doing all right and don't have any competition other than the convenience stores that sell the same size bundles for 2 @ for $11.99. Their piles stay large all summer as most people stop at my place. Beats trying to sell for the home heating folks.

Will
  9. shawneyboy

shawneyboy New Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    The difference in the HD stuff is it probably needs to be kiln dried to control pests, which raises the production costs quite a bit.

Shawn
  10. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    4 Splits bundled at the market yesterday were $4.49. They'll prolly get you for the tax too.
  11. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    The sad part is the Guy doing the work probably only gets half the store price. So about 350 a cord. subtract shrink wrap, handle, and packaging time. Still good money but probably not getting rich.
  12. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Kiln dried firewood locally is really expensive. I don't recall the price, but I think it's in that range
  13. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    This last storm they sold out a few times..People bought it as a back up plan....
  14. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Just got back from a supermarket in NH. $5.99 for 5 splits bundled. They had a whole bunch left, I wonder why... :smirk:
  15. Willman

Willman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sabattus Maine
    As of last year it is no longer legal to import firewood into Maine. The state set up firewood trading centers for people to trade in their "foreign wood" for Maine wood.
    Mostly aimed at the camp trade as those people come from all over and bring their own wood from home. Most don't realize that woodland pests can hitch rides which hastens their spread way beyond the old fashioned way.

This spread can be a huge problem for uninfected areas.

Will
  16. Willman

Willman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sabattus Maine
    Dealer close to me is selling green csd for $210.00. Kiln dried for $310.00 csd. Cord price. Got a couple of log length quotes @ $100 a cord for 8 cord load.Made an order with one guy and on the wait list with the other. The snow depth has slowed em all down. Out of curiosity I called the kiln dried ad and was told they sell plenty of KD.
    I guess with oil well over $3 a gal it might be worth it for some.
    Will
  17. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    The Iowa DNR did the same thing here too at campgrounds & state parks.Worried about the devasting effects of Emerald Ash Borer,as of October 2010,its only been found in Allamakee County,in the extreme NE corner of the state.So far its still OK to move wood from county to county,but quarantine wont be far behind if things get worse.
  18. cptoneleg

cptoneleg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    I thought that Law been in effect everywhere for yrs : If not just commom .00$
  19. Willman

Willman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sabattus Maine
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.