Experience with The Chimney Sweep, Inc. (Bellingham, WA)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djlarson77

Jun 4, 2010
NW Twin Cities, MN
I'm considering buying the PE Alderlea T5 online from the Chimney Sweep, Inc. in Bellingham, WA. Can you folks comment on your experience with them good or bad? The price is right ($2,240 delivered to my door-no sales tax) and so far my experience has been very good after a few phone conversations with Office Manager Paul. I make a lot of purchases online, but for big ones like this I've always bought local just in case there are post-purchase issues.

MinnesotaGuy said:
I'm considering buying the PE Alderlea T5 online from the Chimney Sweep, Inc. in Bellingham, WA. Can you folks comment on your experience with them good or bad? The price is right ($2,240 delivered to my door-no sales tax) and so far my experience has been very good after a few phone conversations with Office Manager Paul. I make a lot of purchases online, but for big ones like this I've always bought local just in case there are post-purchase issues.

Our stove came from Tom's shop. I drove up to Bellingham to pick it up. This is a great shop with a friendly, knowledgeable staff that puts the customer first. I would have no hesitation ordering from them. Their products and customer service are first rate. This is the kind of place you would send your mom and dad to. Good folks.

Attachments

• March08-065web.jpg
    March08-065web.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 668
  • March08-066web.jpg
    March08-066web.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 677
  • March08-067web.jpg
    March08-067web.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 699
From what I hear buying a stove from Tom is pretty boring. You order. You get what you ordered. If there is a problem they take care of it. Pretty boring stuff.

It's much better to go in person, then you get to meet Sweet Child and fight for the chocolates. (And you'll lose every time.)

I bought a stove from Tom, it was a very smooth deal but then I'm local in B'ham. I'd highly recommend them, very good people.

Maybe he'll even send Howard on a much needed vacation to install it for you!

BrotherBart said:
From what I hear buying a stove from Tom is pretty boring. You order. You get what you ordered. If there is a problem they take care of it. Pretty boring stuff.

Not enough drama. You know, shopping is no fun unless you can yell at someone, be put on hold, return it later, etc.
:)

sounds to me like this Tom fellow might be the type that greets you when you walk in and thanks you for your visit too. Trouble Maker. I'd bet he's knowledgeable too...grrrr that makes me so mad.

Thanks guys (and/or gals). I was thinking they were decent from my initial experience but good to get it confirmed. I also learned there are some decent comedians on here - anyone trying out for last wood-humor comic standing?

So how do I advance past fire starter? I'm assuming it's number of posts? I suppose I could find it on here somewhere but figure it's easier to ask here. btw once I graduate from fire starter status, I think it should be named "I know nothing" :lol: There's my humor for the day

MinnesotaGuy said:
Thanks guys (and/or gals). I was thinking they were decent from my initial experience but good to get it confirmed. I also learned there are some decent comedians on here - anyone trying out for last wood-humor comic standing?

So how do I advance past fire starter? I'm assuming it's number of posts? I suppose I could find it on here somewhere but figure it's easier to ask here. btw once I graduate from fire starter status, I think it should be named "I know nothing" :lol: There's my humor for the day

yup, post count

I'm also considering ordering a Pacific Energy T5 from the Chimney Sweep. I want one in the black enamel when they get them. I live in Tennessee, so I'll be having mine shipped. Is there any reason I wouldn't like the T5? It seems like a great stove with a good design and a huge viewing window, but I have no dealers close by and I haven't seen one first hand. Is the viewing window on the door really as nice as it looks? Does it stay clean? How large is it compared to a Jotul F600 Firelight or a Buck Stove model 81?

BrotherBart said:

Where's the adventure in that??

The T5 is the mid-sized Alderlea, it's closer in capacity to the Jotul Oslo, but with a more square firebox. The glass stays clean on these stoves and the mid-sized unit is known for its long burn time. It's a good looker, nicely built and very easy to run.

patrolman467 said:
I'm also considering ordering a Pacific Energy T5 from the Chimney Sweep. I want one in the black enamel when they get them. I live in Tennessee, so I'll be having mine shipped. Is there any reason I wouldn't like the T5? It seems like a great stove with a good design and a huge viewing window, but I have no dealers close by and I haven't seen one first hand. Is the viewing window on the door really as nice as it looks? Does it stay clean? How large is it compared to a Jotul F600 Firelight or a Buck Stove model 81?

The black enamel is not in? My Majolica brown showed up at the local distributor about 2 weeks ago. I saw a T5 first hand, but not the Majolica brown color, spent about $3K based on a picture....hope that works out. I'd definitely buy from Chimney Sweep. The owner, Tom Oyen had a 20 minute conversation with me, even though I wasn't buying from him. He gave me some good pointers, on top of all I received here.

Did you get your stove? If so, time for some pictures and a change of signature! We want to see that new beauty.

BeGreen said:
Did you get your stove? If so, time for some pictures and a change of signature! We want to see that new beauty.

It's at the distributor waiting for me to finish tearing out a closet, tiling, etc. I'll probably have it installed mid-September. I'll post some pics of the progress soon. Where's the best place to post pics like that (sort of the before, now, and after)?

Posting right here is fine for the construction work. The final beauty picture is ok here too, but it's also nice to have one in the Pictures forum for posterity.

Just got off the phone with the Seattle distributor, and the first truckload of black porcelain T5's is scheduled to hit the road from the factory to the Seattle warehouse today or tomorrow. Subject to the whims of border personnel, customs officers, brokerage paperpushers and random checks by the diligent folks at Homeland Security, it is expected to be unloaded in Seattle sometime between this Friday, August 14, and Tuesday, August 17. The distributor delivers to us every Monday, so if all goes smoothly, we'll have black porcelain T5's for sale next Monday, August 16. Should one of the inspectors turn up a quarantined BC apple or undeclared reindeer sweater on the truck. we might not get them until the following Monday, August 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.