Experiment : Greens Supremes vs LaCretes..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRINKSFORALL

Jul 12, 2011
Eastern Ma.
Have read a lot about how the Green Supremes (GS) are an average to below avg pellet so I decided to grab a few bags (4.38). Up to now I have used only Okanagons (okies) and Lacrete's. I have been very happy w/ both. Was told they both come from the same B.C. canadien forrest ..both are Super premium softwood @ well over 5.00 per bag.
After cleaning the burn pot and setting the stove to 4/6 (feed rate/blower speed) I burned the GS's for 2 hours and was able to get the temp in my 20x20 Great room w/ 18 ft ceilng from a starting temp of 65 to 75 in that time period. The GS's also produced a very large flame easily "licking" the top plate in the chamber the entire time. Seemed very hot.
After shutting down stove, cleaning burn pot again and letting room cool back to 65 I used just the LaCretes. After 2 hours the room got up to about 71 but the flame was considerable shorter in height!?!? Pellets seemed to very dry and solid. I had to change feed rate to 6 to get the same size flame and heat of the GS's at "4"?!?
Is it possible my stove likes the hardwood blend better than the premium softwoods? I thought I read here that softwoods were typically superior.
On a side note the GS's were a bit more dirty leaving light brown ash on the interior of the stove and glass. Hard to justify the 283.00 per ton price of the Lacretes overall.

Have read a lot about how the Green Supremes (GS) are an average to below avg pellet so I decided to grab a few bags (4.38). Up to now I have used only Okanagons (okies) and Lacrete's. I have been very happy w/ both. Was told they both come from the same B.C. canadien forrest ..both are Super premium softwood @ well over 5.00 per bag.
After cleaning the burn pot and setting the stove to 4/6 (feed rate/blower speed) I burned the GS's for 2 hours and was able to get the temp in my 20x20 Great room w/ 18 ft ceilng from a starting temp of 65 to 75 in that time period. The GS's also produced a very large flame easily "licking" the top plate in the chamber the entire time. Seemed very hot.
After shutting down stove, cleaning burn pot again and letting room cool back to 65 I used just the LaCretes. After 2 hours the room got up to about 71 but the flame was considerable shorter in height!?!? Pellets seemed to very dry and solid. I had to change feed rate to 6 to get the same size flame and heat of the GS's at "4"?!?
Is it possible my stove likes the hardwood blend better than the premium softwoods? I thought I read here that softwoods were typically superior.
On a side note the GS's were a bit more dirty leaving light brown ash on the interior of the stove and glass. Hard to justify the 283.00 per ton price of the Lacretes overall.

LOL....LaCrete vs. Green Supreme is like Evander Holyfieldvs. Stephen Hawking

Do the pellets seem the same in size (average length)? If the pieces of the GS are overall shorter, you'll be getting a bigger fuel "charge" on each auger rotation...that might explain the bigger fire.

Reactions: KMinNH
If the average weight of the fuel charge was the same for both brands on the same heat setting, then you'd be comparing apples to apples. Otherwise.......

Burned GS last year with Austroflamm Integra in my uninsulated, brick constructed, 2 story 10,000SF warehouse. Lower level was kept at between 52 and 58 degrees all winter (just used for storing inventory). Upper level is unheated. Burning NAP this year with good results.
Burning GS at home in the CAB50. Good amost white flame and great heat. I'll keep the $80. per ton in my pocket until the heating needs can't be met.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Drinks for all, Make mine a bourbon

LOL....LaCrete vs. Green Supreme is like Evander Holyfieldvs. Stephen Hawking
LOL! I was expecting the the lacretes to be superior but was shocked by the GS. They are definitley "dirtier" but I clean the stove every 2 days regardless of pellet used. Like I said I had to put the stove on 6 (auger speed) to get the same flame as the GS on 3-4!?!?

Do the pellets seem the same in size (average length)? If the pieces of the GS are overall shorter, you'll be getting a bigger fuel "charge" on each auger rotation...that might explain the bigger fire.
I checked last night and the piece lengths are very similar. The GS are darker in color (hard wood blend). There is s bit more dust in the bags versus the laCretes but not like the Okie's "fines" issues I've seen 1st hand (burned them last year- 2.3 ton). And even though I didnt have a accurate way to gauge it ..the GS felt hotter and more intense in front of the stove.

If the average weight of the fuel charge was the same for both brands on the same heat setting, then you'd be comparing apples to apples. Otherwise.......
I definitley made sure the settings were the same for both pellets!

LOL! I was expecting the the lacretes to be superior but was shocked by the GS. They are definitley "dirtier" but I clean the stove every 2 days regardless of pellet used. Like I said I had to put the stove on 6 (auger speed) to get the same flame as the GS on 3-4!?!?
"Which pellet should you burn?".............You are doing exactly what you need to do to get the best answer to that question. Different strokes for different folks. There IS no wrong answer to that question. Thanks for your info!

Reactions: Eatonpcat
I have no problem with Green Supreme at 209....I do however have a huge problem with NEWP at 275.
NEWP makes Greene team,correct? They were more expensive (5.20 vs 4.38-GS). I have 3 bags of those as well, which I'll try this weekend.

NEWP makes Greene team,correct?
Somewhere, in a land far, far away.....Ribbie Galis is shedding a tear reading this......
Greene Team is it's own company. NEWP makes Green Supreme. The difference, in my opinion, is night and butterflies.

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
Green Supreme's have been the most common pellet at my local big box stores for the past few years. I've had the NA Wood Fibers, Presto Logs, Stove Chow, ect.....and I find the GS's to burn very hot compared to others but find they have a bit more ash. I usually get my 2-3 ton early in the season (end of Sept) delivered to the house and price has been consistent around $209 a ton.

i also use GS and love them purchased from the box store for 209 a ton used a 10% coupon so i only paid 180 for a ton the heat is excellent and like everyone else says its a little dirtier then some pellets but i do a total cleaning every sunday and i add 1 bag in the morning and have the stove on all day and night. my house is kept around 73 degrees and love it. No oil used and for less then 4 dollars a bag i do that all year long. If you use the box store pellets get there coupon and save yourself money. Love my Stove

Same here, got 5% off using the card and then paid it right off. With the recent 50-60 degree weather I've had to shut the stove down in the morning since the house is so warm from it running at night. I have an older Whitfield that only has manual controls, when I crank it up the main part of the house can get to 76-77, on the colder days 71-73 I would say. also if I think about it a 24 hour burn at the highest feed setting I burn about 2 bags.

Reactions: glenc0322
I've been thinking actually about combining these two brands. I really like LaCrete's, but would like to save a little bit of money. Green Supreme's aren't terrible, so I was thinking that for most burning days I could mix the LaCrete's and Green Supreme's - on really cold days, just burn the LaCrete's and on really warm days, burn the GS's.

Whaddya think?

MIXEM I been saying that for a long time. I use 2 coal hods and just give them a quick mix up by hand. Works pisser!

Status
Not open for further replies.