I took down a young mulberry yesterday, and am now trying an idea that I've been toying around with for a while. When I got home I lopped about an inch from the end of a split, and weighed both pieces with a kitchen scale. I dried the small piece completely in the microwave (also left it in a warm conventional oven overnight to make sure) and weighed it again. The difference between the original weight and the oven-dry weight tells me how much moisture there was to begin with, which in turn lets me know what the initial MC was for both the offcut sample and the larger split. The sample started out at 214 grams, and at oven-dry was down to 114 grams. It lost 100 grams of water (the nice round number being pure coincidence). 100/114 = 0.87.7 = 87.7% initial moisture content. The big piece started out at 3074 grams. I can now measure the average moisture content in that split very accurately by weighing it and doing a little math. It will hit 20% MC when it gets down to 1,965 grams. I intend to weigh the split every Saturday, and periodically post updates here.