expert advice ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catch22

Feb 27, 2011
nc
hello to all. sure looks like this site is full of wisdom, and people willing to help one another. nice and thanks ! while i am not new to burning, i am very new to the new stoves. i have a chance to buy a 3 year old hampton h300 stove and need expert advise. #1 the owner states the stove is in perfect cond. & wants 1500 $ obo. #2 is there certain things i should look for ? #3 do you think this to be a fair price for this stove ? i will see this stove tonight for the first time. again, thank you for your wisdom.

I am not familiar with Hampton stoves, but you will want to make sure there are no cracks or warped parts anywhere on the stove. If it has heat shields make sure they are intact and they have no grey spots on them, this would suggest it has been overfired. Make sure the door will open and close freely. You can take pics in and out of the stove and post them here, we like pictures!

catch22,

First off welcome to the forum !!!! This is a great site. I am sure someone familiar with that stove will chime in soon. I am unfamiliar with that particular unit but..... a few things I would do are...

1. Do some research on the Internet... oh wait you are here. Well see if you can find some reviews on line of the stove, or at least some dealer info on the stove.
2. Find out what the retail price of the stove is today if they still make it, and was 3 years ago when they bought it. Is the asking price high for a 3 year old stove ?
3. Find out what type of burning technology the stove uses, and if it is EPA certified.
4. Find out what size flue you need, and what you will need to do to install it. No scense in getting a good deal on a stove that costs a fortune to retrofit in the home.
5. Get pics, a ton of pics. If you can post them here then that would be great !!!
6. When inspecting stove, look for warps, and cracks !!!
7. Be sure all moving parts- door, air intake control, everything- moves corectly.
8. I would even do a dollar bill test to check all the gaskets,( yes you can easily replace them but....if they don't seal correctly was the unit burned like that?

That is what I would do to start if I were buying a "new" used stove.

Shawn

I'd say it's little high for a 3 yr old medium sized stove unless it is enameled and in cherry condition. How many cords of wood have they burned in it? Are you smitten with the looks or are you just trying to get good, affordable heat?

well... took the 120 mile trip to view the hampton stove last evening. [ and thank you all for saving me a big mistake ] !! i was mis-informed on the stoves condition, while taking your advise checking out the stove the following was discovered : to start with, i must say with the web link i was sent by the owner, i was smitten with the looks of it. and informed his looked just as good as the dealer site pics. this stove was so badly abused,i could not believe how it was advertised as perfect ! and was a little peed off about the mislead. this stove had been overfired and had signs of it in many places. the door seals were bad and may have been the cause of it? i dont know if the glass could have ever been cleaned? and the kicker was this; the wood had been slammed in so hard through the side door, that the brick was smashed and missing ! the enamel was chipped off in several places, and they did not bother to vacuum. disappointed to say the least ! iam sure this stove was very nice when new, just dont understand how they pd. 3500$ for it and beat the *^&^% out of it. oh well. i will look some more. and again, thank you all for your responses. just as a side note. i am reaching retirement age and reverting to wood heat, backed by gas to save a little in the long run. i will cut-haul-split-stack-season and burn my own wood. and get rid of my useless fireplace.

Sorry the news wasn't as expected, but it's good you could walk away from this stove. Don't worry. I'll bet if they paid $3500 new, that included the cost of the flue

There will be others or just get it new. I'm not sure what size stove you need, but you can get a new Napoleon 1100c for less than $1500 - http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=883

BeGreen said:
I'll bet if they paid $3500 new, that included the cost of the flue

That would have to be the case as a New H300 costs about $2,200.

Status
Not open for further replies.